• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo

Drum Brake Hub Bearing

Ricardo

I've managed to strip another wheel bolt thread in rear drum :) Then found that one of the bolts had the washer removed.

Decided to get new drums and bearings as one feels a bit notchy but unsure :lol: of the "drum brake since pro no. 08021" detail as stated in Service Box.

post-11787-1231358652_thumb.jpg

post-11787-1231358669_thumb.jpg

The part numbers are the same but the bearing item looks to show all the items as 'Hub Bearing' 374839 on the 'since' diagram.

Whereas the 'until' diagram lists the bearing number 374817.

Questions

1 Does this just mean that they started listing the peugeot bearing as a kit rather than the bearing on its own? (same bearing?)

2 If I just get bearing will I have to remove the hub thrust cup from the old drum or will it be pressed in the drum as new?

3 How can I tell if my 1992 1.6GTi is upto or since 08021?

Cheers for any advice....

Richard

Ricardo

Does nobody know?

Or am I being stupid and missing something?

Please anybody.......I'm picking up drums tomorrow and might get bearings too.

M@tt

as you said one is just the bearing the other is the complete kit.

tbh you're best off getting the bearing from GSF as you will pay massively over the odds at pug.

The bearing will also come with a new circlip and nut in my experience (from GSF) where as from pug you are likely to just get the bearing on its own unles you order the complete kit.

remember GSF do free delivery online if you haven't got one near you or failing that a local motor factor would be able to get you a bearing no probs, just phone round a couple to get the best price

Matt

Ricardo
The bearing will also come with a new circlip and nut in my experience (from GSF) where as from pug you are likely to just get the bearing on its own unles you order the complete kit.

Cheers M@tt :lol: I got the GSF bearings as below £13.51 each side including VAT (free postage)! Checked out others and they wanted £53 just for the bearing! :ph34r:

post-11787-1231879250_thumb.jpg

Also explains why it looks like 2 bearings when in the drum!

Would putting the drum in the oven and the bearings in the freezer allow me to knock them in rather than pressing?

macamizer

if dont have access to a press you could press it in with a socket and a vice

Ricardo

Cheers, Heated the drums in the oven and bearings in the freezer for half an hour and they dropped in! No hammering needed!

Let them cool slowly. Jobs agoodun!