• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joni

Fitting A Piper 270 Camshaft Upgrade To A 1.9 Head

joni

I've modified a head and only just got round to putting it all back together. I put the camshaft (believed to be a piper 270, bought second hand on ebay) in place and noticed that it will not turn around freely 360deg as a couple of the cam lobes hit the cylinder head.

I hope the cam is the one i think it is?! Do i simply take a file to the head and remove the metal causing the obstruction? fingers crossed!

Anthony

That doesn't sound right to me and I've not personally had that issue when fitting the Piper 270 cam - check the part number stamped on the end of the cam tallies up with the part number Piper list for the 270 cam.

welshpug

pretty much yes, it would be preferred if you removed the head from the engine to ensure that any metal particles don't make their way into the oilways and can be cleaned thoroughly.

BP270 hasn't that much lift though, its barely an increase over the standard gti cam, how were the clearances compared to the standard cam?

Part No.; P16BP270

Power Band; 2000-6500

Power Increase; 20 BHP

Duration; In 272 deg Ex 272 deg

Timing 28-64, 64-28

Lift; In 11.73mm Ex 11.68mm

Full lift; 108 deg

Lift @ TDC; In 1.57mm Ex 1.52mm

Valve Clearance; In 0.20mm Ex 0.25mm

Standard 1.9;

Lift 11.5 mm

Nominal clearance 1.0 mm

Inlet opens 11 30' BTDC

closes 43 ABDC

Exhaust opens 46 BBDC

closes 2 ATDC

I've got a PTS gravel cam in my standard 1.9 head and that has more lift I believe, no clearance issues and its a fresh Billet not a regrind.

edit, shows how slow I was typing :wacko:

Edited by welshpug

vickiw106

it sounds to me like a grp a spec cam

i have a piper gpa cam now and you have to modify the head to get clearance for the cam lobes

joni

All sorted. It is a piper 270 cam (has hte stamp and the measurements stack up with the info quoted above). I had it in place without any of the caps over it so no wonder it was touching a few places on the head. However even with the cap on i did need to remove a bit of metal on the head here and there with a file. Fortunately the head is off the car and so i've given it a really good clean out. Just need to assemble it now! Can't wait to have a car that doesn't blow out blue smoke anymore (valve stem oil seals), although i will miss putting off the competition behind me!

Oh and i've heard the piper cam isn't much different to standard but unfortunately this was after i'd bought it (second hand on ebay)! The head has been DIY ported, DIY modified valves/seats, skimmed 40 thou, piper cam etc. Hoping for a few extra horses over the standard setup but nothing too major.

projectpug

Any pics of the head and modified valves/seat?

You may get a couple of Hp but not much and all depends on how well you did the head.

joni
Any pics of the head and modified valves/seat?

You may get a couple of Hp but not much and all depends on how well you did the head.

It was 119bhp (1.9 gti with no cat) before i did any work. I guess the engine is a bit old. No pics as yet - will try to remember to tonight or this weekend. My work wasn't spectacular by any means (it is my first head) but i'm sure its a damn site better than what pug did!!! i've just removed sharp angles really, its more of a clean up than anything else but it should flow a bit better and i'm sure the higher compression should help. 5hp would be good anymore is a bonus.

Sign in to follow this