• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pete1986

Don't You Just Hate Sod's Law!

pete1986

Okay, the story goes like this.

Friday evening i get home from work and park my 309 GTi in a parking space in the garages by my house. I then got a lift to my friends house to pick up my 205, thinking "now that my 205 is back on the road, i can sell the 309". But things never go smoothly though, do they? ;)

The next day i got into the 205, which was facing the 309. I took a quick glance at it, then had to do a double take, harry enfield style. There is now a huge dent (well more like a cave) in the drivers door. :D Im suprised then aren't men with clubs living in there!

post-9108-1231328458_thumb.jpg

post-9108-1231328468_thumb.jpg

To make matters worse, there was no note on the window, no note through the letter box, no nothing!! C**ts!! All my neighbours know that its my car, so they have no excuse for not informing me. I suppose it could have been a delivery van or something.

It looks like the impact point was quite high, as there was no marks on the plastic, nor is there signs of it bending much. The red inserts would show damage other wise. Instead the clips popped of the trim as the door was pushed in. It could be from a tow bar, im only guessing. But most of my neighbours are pretty old, i wouldn't be suprised if half of them touch parked. Their idea of a 3 point turn is probaly forward... bang, reverse... bang, then drive away!

Its so typical that something like this happens just as im ready to sell it. Life always has a problem round the corner for you! Apart from the dent its all pretty mint. So now im faced with the task of finding a replacment door, and its probaly highly unlikely that i can find one in the same colour and in good condition to match the rest of the car, thus meaning i'd have to get one resprayed. Whether it will need a respray or not, it still means that i've got to spend time and petrol to collect a door. God knows where the nearest one will be!

B):angry::angry:

pete1986

Erm, im not sure why there are 4 copies of this thead :wacko: Can a mod delete 3 of them please. Thank you

omega

barstewards

jimistdt

Choked for you mate. Very annoying :wacko:

I wonder if the van caught the ice at the side of your car, doesn't make it right, but at least its a bit more fathomable.

Maybe you could get a dent doctor type dude to have a look see if the door can be salvaged?

Last Legend

I would remove the inner door trim and see it I could push it out from the inside,doubt it will look pre accident but will look better,I would also go door to door asking if anyone had any idea what happened,I would say someone saw something but your giving the culprit time to own up before taking it further.......

SPofRCLD

sh***y situation man, bummer, coz its a pretty car..

found myself in the same situation when i found my s1 106 rallye, just after i finished rebuilding it, with the drivers door, lets say, sitting in the drivers seat..

was pretty bummed coz the door was flawless! theres no way a decent bodyshop will go into trying to undo the dent, as it will take more time then just getting a "new" door from the scrapyard, i belive it will be the same in your case also.

as i can see, your 309 is a four door isnt a door from lower spec 309s the same?

pete1986

I think pushing the dent will be a bit of a waste of time tbh. It will never be straight without a load of filler, no matter how good the panel beater is. As SPofRCLD said, it will be quicker and easier to get a new door.

Base model doors will be the same, but they dont have the rivets for the trim.

Unfortunately i cant find any 5 door 309's being broken on ebay. Wasn't baz breaking a 309 goodwood not too long ago?? Ill pm him now.

SPofRCLD

Pete, I think you can take a 309 door, and measure and drill the holes for the rivets by yourself, done it on a 106 rallye wing, took some time and headache, but turned out pretty spot on, and saved me some money.

besides, was a fun job to do! :wacko:

hexhamstu

happened to my girlfriends 205 a few weeks ago, she had only owned it 4 days!!!

GLPoomobile

That is shocking! An utter disgrace.

I can feel for you. Somebody dented my front n/s wing a while back. Pretty sure that was a van/flatbed. How people can think it's ok to just bugger off when they know they've damaged someone's car is just beyond me.

My once very good condition 205 now has a dented wing, a white (?) gouge in the rear bumper, and has recently picked up another scrape on the corner of the rear bumper too. All through idiots who cannot park.

ming

Nasty outcome mate. Feel for you. It might be too far for you to travel if you're from Sussex but i know a very good bodywork guy down here, unless you just want to replace the whole door.

This guy is a one-man show in Wickford, Essex. He came recommended to me by someone who doesn't like paying a lot either and so i sent my MX5 company car to him to have a nasty dent in the bonnet taken care of. The work was faultless. You couldn't even tell it had happened, whereas another garage just told me "new bonnet and have it painted". The price was far less than i expected.

If you want to talk to him - Autospray - 01268 769769. The guy's name is Steve. Good luck.

steve@cornwall

Bad news! good news is that the doors are the only body part shared with the 205 should make finding a replacement easier

jord294

hi pete

i'm collecting a 5 door 309 gti on sunday.

i'll be breaking the car probably, and the drivers door is in very good condition, and black

let me know if your interested

Edp

Definitely looks like a van or 4x4 by the height. Judging by the pictures the trim is fine so it must be something quite high. Either way there long gone now buddy.

f***ing cowards

philfingers

could be worse, a door is bolt on and jord294 may have one, a rear quarter isn't bolt on tho!

Someone reversed into my A6 avant when it was parked on the drive. I had my head under the 309 at the time, heard the bang looked up and got the number. Reported it to the police and they said as it was parked on my drive (I live in a cul de sac, guy was turning around) and not on the road there was nothing they could do! Go figure, it's criminal damage as far as I was concerned! I never did get anywhere with it

large

^^^^^^ That’s fu*king sh*t!!!! Tell them you want to prosecute the driver for trespass. I bet if you were doing 35 in a 30 zone they would have something to say WA*KERS!!

Baz

Only just seen this topic, s*itty luck, i can't believe people can be such clumsy gits in the first place, then not leave a bloody note etc and just run... :blush:

That'll be why you had the door off me then! lol! Good luck with it Pete! ^_^