• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SPofRCLD

Factory Sliding Sunroof No. Of Rivets?

SPofRCLD

hello every body.

kinda new on the forum, as this being my 2/3 post..

anyways, I have recently removed the original sliding sunroof for refurbishment purposes. after doing so,

i have placed it back to its place, when, to make sure it doesnt leak i used the same sealant you would use when when put windscreens back in place (the black sticky stuff that looks like silicone, but isnt.. ;) )

anyways, the the sealant masks all the holes in the sunroof frame for the rivets, and strangely, i somehow found that there are two holes in the front outer corners of the frame that i dont seem to have holes in the cars roof for under the sealant.. now, all the parts are original, and were fitted to the car already,

but suddenly i thought what if i was wrong, and it was just the sealant that got a bit hard, and couldnt let me get to the hole under it for the rivet..

so basically, i need to know how many rivets should be on the front side of the frame(the holes are the ones just before the weird corner torx? screws, which i seem to have one in each corner, and on the rear glass stoppers..)

also, there are two holes on the bracket of the vacuum opening handle inside the car, that also seem that need to be fixed to two holes on the sunroof frame with something..what do i put there????

thanks all for reading this, and sorry for my english that might be a bit awkward..im still from israel :D

de Noir

I just finished mine, don't understand what do you mean by having and removing rivets on the roof?

Factory fit are rivet nuts, which accomodate those 'weird' torx screws all around, bar two holes in the middle front (sunroof opening handle, inside). Those you fix with two M4 or M5 bolts with flat head and preferrably some kind of sealing washer on the outer side + self stopping nuts inside.

Rivet nuts tend to slip, especially those on rear sunroof edge that's true.

I found a simple fix for those who do not have special rivet nut pliers. You can also use adequate self stopping nuts + sealing washers inside.

As far as I am concerned there is no safe way to attach roof rail plastic trim without having those torx bolts all around, as these are holding the trim with their offset head.

Finally, I think using windscreen glue for sealing the frame isn't the brightest idea, as you will literally die removing the frame in case of a need. :wacko: Factory sealant tape is cheap and available, too late for that I guess. :D

Now you help me with my control valve question down there! :lol::D

Edited by MH_

SPofRCLD

Thanx MH, the thing is there are two different sunroof fixing setups, the one that you have, which is the full torx screws set (i believe 37 screws is the right number),

and the one that i have, which includes only 4 torx screws, and the rest are rivets.

on the peugeot servicebox

your part no. are: 8403 36, 8403 37, 8581 34, 8424 18

which are all the sunroof screws..

where mine are: 8403 49, 8403 50

which are special rivets, which they dont have at the official dealers here, and cant order from france, so i had them custom made,

and just four of your 8424 18..

actually, i cant order the original adhesive sunroof seal here also. tried, they just dont stock it, and said they cant order it,

so the next best thing was the windshield sealer, as it doesnt damage the paint with time unlike normal silicone.

i dont really think ill need to remove the sunroof frame ever again, as its just been freshly painted, and the only reason to remove the roof is to paint the whole car again, which will take a few years from now, then it probably will not be a problem already..

and for the handle, im actually interested in how it was fixed originally, because mine just had two screws fixed into the adhesive tape from the inside of the car,

and that how it came from the factory, which seemed kinda weird to me.. :wacko:

tonycj

Removed my sunroof about 6 months ago for maintenance and mine had large tucker-pop rivets fitted.

This was a standard fit from Peugeot too.

8 Rivets across the front,

9 Rivets down each side.

I used aircraft fuel tank sealer as a liquid gasket between the paintwork and sunroof frame, then put in my new rivets (aircraft grade rivets)

The sunroof stopped leaking and wont be out again!!

As to the sunroof handle it is fitted by two plastic caps with threads inside them, fitted to the outside of the sunroof, the handle is then held in place whilst a bolt is inserted through the handle pushed through the sunroof into the plastic cap where it is screwed tight.

Job done.

Hope this helps.

Tony.

de Noir
and for the handle, im actually interested in how it was fixed originally, because mine just had two screws fixed into the adhesive tape from the inside of the car,

and that how it came from the factory, which seemed kinda weird to me.. :blush:

Which handle are you referring to? Glass panel handle or locking handle??

Glass panel handle holds on two M4 cross head bolts, screwed from inside into the plastic caps on the outer glass side.

Inbetween is a seal that tends to go kaputt and starts leaking.

I found handy replacement in 3/8in rubber ring seal, used for kitchen and bathroom equipment.

Locking handle is fixed with two M6 self stopping nuts from inside and two M4 or M5 flat head bolts + PVC seal washers from outside and self stopping nuts inside.

SPofRCLD

Thanx tonycj and MH!

tonycj, i did mean the front part, which you say had 8 rivets in, did you also have a blank hole in each corner of the front sunroof frame, right in front of the torx bolts that come on the corners?

MH, the handle i was talking about is the one that opens the vacuum, which, like you said has two m6 locking nuts straight to the frame, but where you said ill have m4/5 bolts with washers and locking nuts, i just had two small bolts from the inside locked straight into the sticky sealer.. which is pretty weird, because its all original factory placed, and never touched...

tonycj

Hi, had a look at my sunroof, the only holes left on the sunroof now are where the torx bolts fit, all the rest are filled with the tucker-pops from the sunroof.

So i dont know why you have extra holes?

Hope this helps.

Tony.

de Noir
MH, the handle i was talking about is the one that opens the vacuum, which, like you said has two m6 locking nuts straight to the frame, but where you said ill have m4/5 bolts with washers and locking nuts, i just had two small bolts from the inside locked straight into the sticky sealer.. which is pretty weird, because its all original factory placed, and never touched...

Finished my sunroof rebuild yesterday, made a short photo story of my 'fix': (pardon my pics, trembling hands... Just got too excited! :rolleyes: )

M4 screws you mention being screwed into sunroof frame seal from the cabin are ment to hold the locking handle and the front sunroof frame trim.

So here it is, check out for two holes in the middle. I kind of expected caged nuts there, but it seems like there aren't any.

th_fix01.jpg

This is the fixing stuff: Stainless M5 bolts, locking nuts, rubber washers and few centimetres of say 10mm rubber pipe.

th_fix02.jpg

Rubber seal first, locking nut after.

th_fix03.jpg

Rubber pipe is meant to hold the rubber washer and nut together, as they become unaccessable once sunroof frame trim is on.

th_fix04.jpg

Just press the pipe inwards, while bolt is holding the assembly together.

th_fix05.jpg

Here it is, front frame trim ready for install.

th_fix06.jpg

Stronger M5 fixing bolt, on the right. Everything holds tight!

th_fix07.jpg

Reverse order for breaking the sunroof assembly!

Edited by MH_