• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

What Is It Off, S16, Gti6?

philfingers

Picture001.jpg

IMG_9000-1.jpg

I had it with my Mi16 motor, not sure what it's off. Has a facility for a dizzy I think but with a camshaft sensor. Any idea what it's off and is it of any use to me?

Phil

Edited by philfingers

welshpug

trying to remember if the vacuum pump on an S16 runs off the inlet or exhaust cam!

hole in the top would be for the camsensor.

Anthony

That's from an S16.

GTi-6 runs the vacuum pump off the exhaust cam, and has the cam phase sensor towards the cambelt end of the head

welshpug

this is a gti6 one

th_PICT0176.jpg

Edited by welshpug

Mandic

Jup S16.

I have one in front of me and it's exactly the same bar that ribbed part between cam sensor and water thermostat, which is hollow. Were there differences between late and early engines?

Cheers

Ziga

welshpug

there were two versions of the engine, RFY 155bhp, and RFT, 150 BHP, apart from that I don't know exactly what the difference was if much at all.

philfingers

Yes I have the (hall effect?) cam sensor, which I'm trying to get to work on my Brantz trip at the moment.

Is there any benefit of runnign this on the Mi16 block?

phil

welshpug

I doubt the ecu would like it if it was disconnected!

Anthony
Yes I have the (hall effect?) cam sensor, which I'm trying to get to work on my Brantz trip at the moment.

Is there any benefit of runnign this on the Mi16 block?

You'll need to run an S16 inlet cam (or atleast press the phase sensor lobe from it onto an Mi cam, which I'm assuming is possible but have never tried) as there's nothing for the cam phase sensor to "read" on an 1.9 Mi cam.

No advantage or need from an aftermarket engine management point of view to use the cam phase sensor unless you're planning on running sequential injection or individual coils in a non-wasted spark manner (makes no odds for a conventional dizzy setup or wasted-spark). Obviously if you're planning on using management that needs the sensor (S16, GTi-6 etc) then you'll need to retain it.

The other thing I'd say is that if you're planning on using that thermostat housing in order to run the S16 vacuum pump, be aware that there's no oil drain on the side of the Mi head for it so you'd need to drill one. If someone has a photo of the side of an S16 head you'll see what I mean.

petert
The other thing I'd say is that if you're planning on using that thermostat housing in order to run the S16 vacuum pump, be aware that there's no oil drain on the side of the Mi head for it so you'd need to drill one. If someone has a photo of the side of an S16 head you'll see what I mean.

You can run it as is on a 1.9L head if you fit a cam seal before pressing the cam sensor tang on to the cam. It's a simple process to press the tang on/off between cams.

The tangs are quite valuable as they aren't available as a separate part number. They only come with the camshaft from Peugeot.

You can also buy a cover to block off the hole if you don't want to run vacuum pump, as the 2L Mi16 did not have a vacuum pump.

The cam sensor doesn't need an oil supply. Thus S16 cams are drilled whereas 2L Mi16 cams are solid. It's an easy process to bung up the S16 cam.

I welded up and/or blocked all the unnecessary water outlets on mine.

If you've got an ECU that can support sequential injection I highly recommend using the cam sensor. The difference it makes to mid range grunt is significant. I posted a wiring diagram some time ago on how to wire up the sensor for aftermarket ECU's. I can find it if someone is interested.

Edited by petert

philfingers

Sorry should have been more clear! I'm trying the cam sensor to drive my rally trip meter. If I can get it to work then I would bolt it too the wheel to detect the bolt heads.

I have I think figured outL-

Pin 1 5v supply

Pin 2 Signal

Pin 3 Earth/Shield

Is this correct? At the moment it runs off a device which you match into the speedo cable, but it makes it very jerky in operation hence the reason for change.

I had thought about using the casting as it looks better than the Mi16 on. I've already welded up the rear water pipe on the Mi housing and got rid of the cam cover water rail thing.

Now considering using the std oil (air) cooler in the PAS return line to cool the PAS fluid. I've found I lose steering effort as fluid gets hots, especially in the tight twisty sections, TranX works it hard too!

petert

You may need to put a 1kohm pull up resistor between +ve and the signal output. Use a 1W 100ohm resistor to limit current if using 12V supply.

philfingers

thanks Peter,

Are those pin outs I have there correct do you know, couldn't really tell from the wiring diagram as all wires go into ECU.

5v supply is ok, the Brantz puts out 5v supply for this

Sign in to follow this