• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bensonmi

Help! Manifold Nuts On Mi16

bensonmi

im in the middle of fitting a manifold reangling plate on my mi16. i have managed to undo all the bottom nuts, but im stuck with 3 nuts on the top that seem to have rounded off :) im unable to get a socket in there and my spanner keeps slipping. unfortunately the engine is fitted in the car, but iv pulled the gear box off.is there a way of doing them with only my basic tools or am i gonna have to bite the bullet and drop the engine out again? i really dont fancy doing that again if i can help it!

EdCherry

Would this be any help too your?

20020901_Remove_Fasteners_page005img003_size2.jpg

A nut splitter :$ might do the job not sure really! Other thing that is handy are the irwin bolt removers with a reverse thread!

bensonmi
Would this be any help too your?

20020901_Remove_Fasteners_page005img003_size2.jpg

A nut splitter :$ might do the job not sure really! Other thing that is handy are the irwin bolt removers with a reverse thread!

those nut grippers are good tools but i dont think id be able to get it in there :)

one of the bolts is in the middle of the pipes and a right pain in the arse to get to due to the angle of it all. i can see me pulling the engine out again for easier access, depressing times!

dcc

benson. this might not be what you want to hear but...

I couldnt get my nuts off of my manifold after trying for a few hours, decided to life the engine out with them on. was alot easier to undo them then.

only thing else i could suggest, get a spanner which is slightly too small, and hammer it on and force it over the nut, should do the trick.

bensonmi
benson. this might not be what you want to hear but...

I couldnt get my nuts off of my manifold after trying for a few hours, decided to life the engine out with them on. was alot easier to undo them then.

only thing else i could suggest, get a spanner which is slightly too small, and hammer it on and force it over the nut, should do the trick.

nooooooo! think your right the engine needs to come out :lol: but on the plus side it makes getting the gear box on alot easier! need to rob my mates engine crane again,im sure iv used it more than him now :)

marksorrento205

Are they 6 point nuts or 12 I cant remember. If they are six which rings a bell, try a 6 point spanner not a 12 point one if you have not already. It can help sometimes and I think I used a ring spanner too to get right in there square. They are a tw"t at the best of time :)

dcc

when i put my head back on, i made sure all of the studs were secured into head, so the nuts would come off, without unthreading the studs. last time i took the exhaust off it happend to annoy me enough, i didnt bother putting them back on, pissing annoying.

welshpug

I've used some stud/nut extractors made by Irwin, like a socket but with 6 spiral teeth instead of flats, they grip the nut and dig in as you loosen them.

couldn't find the ones I mentioned, but here's some cheap versions http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4piece-3-8-1-2-drive...emZ250347406349

edit, found some pretty close to the ones I've used.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-TWIST-SOCKET-SET...emZ320271747381

862d_1_sbl.JPG

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive got the snap on versions of them above, brilliant on rounded nuts but often a little shallow for some jobs such as manifold studs due to the amount of stud protrusion.

Cameron

I was going to suggest using a stud extractor, but those nut extractors look like they would do a better job. You should definitely consider getting a set of proper stud extractors if you do any amount of work on engines. Halfords do a good set and they have the professional guarantee too. :)

Richie-Van-GTi

Another option if theres enough stud showing is wind 2 nuts on, lock them togther tight and wind the complete stud out with them :)

bensonmi
Another option if theres enough stud showing is wind 2 nuts on, lock them togther tight and wind the complete stud out with them :)

thats the 1!! was about to order a stud extractor cant beleive that slipped my mind! looks like the engine can stay in yay! there is quite a bit of stud showing too,bloody genius! thanks every one for all your replies iv now got a good few options starting with the 2 nuts,then buy an extractor then if all that fails pull the engine out.thats made my day!

Cameron

If the original nut is tight, which I guess it is, then that method probably won't work. :)

DamirGTI

If you have a MIG welder or someone (mate) with MIG welder who can give you a hand with this put one fresh nut on top of the rounded one spot weld both the rounded and the fresh nut together from outside , or better still , weld them together from the inside (trough the hole of the top/fresh nut) striking the arc on the lower rounded one and fill up the nut hole all the way up to the top .. wait a few seconds and you'll be able to undo the stud/nut with zero force/trouble no matter how much it was rusted/sized :D (heat during the welding helps loosing up this badly sized/rusted bolts as it'll burn out rust particles from the inside of the bolt/stud and housing threads .. and by welding fresh nut on top of the rounded one you'll have just another nut but non rounded ;) so that you can undo it and it'll move the lower rounded one as well cos they'll be welded together ..)

Nut splitters are good but their use is rather limited cos you can't fit them to most places , especially where is too little clearance .. and they don't work so well on smaller dia. nuts as they tend to slip off the nut ..

Damir B)

Edited by DamirGTI

dcc

you will be VERY lucky to be bale to take the studs out with the engine in the car. they are VERY hard to get at. i struggled with the engine out of the car...

philfingers

got to agree, mig every time. Same for studs that are stuck too. I use a 1/4" rod, weld that to the stud and usually a bit of flat on the other end. The mig puts plenty of heat in and they just unwind. So long as it's not snapped off flush with the block. Nut idea is a good one, not tried that but will work for sure

bensonmi

i can only try,then see what my next move is.I have considerd getting a blow lamp to heat them up with as i dont know any one near by with a welder ;) but the others were'nt all that tight,i think it was because of the silly angle i had my spanner at that killed the nuts! and after i butchered them, i found the perfect spanner for the job with an offset head, which id looked everywhere for before id started and couldnt find. typical!

Sign in to follow this