• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hexhamstu

Under Powered Brake

hexhamstu

on the mot one of the rear calipers is under powered but due to the rest being ok it still passed, the mot tester said since it had been standing i could just try pulling the hand brake on a few times while driving to try and clear the pad/disc, is there an easy way of cleaning up the caliper to sort this out? im new to brakes, apart from changing discs and pads ive never really touched them, ive bled mountain bike brakes though so get the idea.

Anthony

What is under performing? Is it one side or both, and is it foot (service) brake and/or the handbrake?

C_W

It's not unknown for the weaker side to be the one working ok and the better one to actually be the problem due to compensator problems.

hexhamstu

foot brake but the hand brake only just passed, i havent got the exact figures here they are in the car 400 miles away, but i might pop up to get it and before driving said 400 thought it would be best if the brakes where working properly.

macamizer

try bleeding them,had the same sort of problem and had a load of air in the system

timmsy19
It's not unknown for the weaker side to be the one working ok and the better one to actually be the problem due to compensator problems.

^^^i'd put money on it being this.

mine failed the mot on the exact same reason. fixed the compensator on the underpowered side only to find out it was fine so did the other side and hey presto