• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
EdCherry

Compression Tester

EdCherry

Well since I got this car that has started for the first time in a long and its smoking a hell of a lot people suggested I get a compression test done.

As i've been doing bits and bobs I've been getting tools along the way, and now im at the point of needing compression tester. Is it a false economy to buy cheap with these, e.g. buy cheap buy twice, pay peanuts get monkeys, etc.

I don't want to fork out loads, but if it really is going to be a situation where you buy cheap you buy twice id rather find someone local to me that could lend me one/come do the test for me.

Opinions, reviews of your compression tester, views, links, suggestions, advice please.

Thanks, Ed.

Goliath

I have the one from screwfix, not very expensive IIRC, works fine as far as I can tell.

large

I got one I think it was about £20, its going to be in the ball park for readings and will give me some sort of idea if something has gone tits up. Also it looks good in the tool box .

Edited by large

projectpug

The most important factor is consistency, the readings should be all fairly close if you have one with a lot lower reading then theres the problem.

GLPoomobile

Not very helpful, but I got mine from either Machinemart or Screwfix (probably the former) and paid about £20. Also not sure of make, but seems to be OK. All I can say is don't get a push on type, make sure it is a screw in type. Mine seems to be OK, giving believable and repeatable results.

Anthony

I've got a cheap £15 odd Gunsons one (Halfords sell them) and it's fine for what I need.

The actual figures I take with a pinch of salt (although they were within 5% of an expensive Snap On tester), but given that when you do a compression test what you're usually looking for is differences between cylinders and a feel of the overall compression, it's absolutely fine.

As said, make sure that it's a screw in tester, as the push in ones are utter rubbish. Other than that, for an average home mechanic, I'm not convinced that there's any real need to spend lots of money on a compression tester - there's far more important and frequently used tools where it's worth spending the extra.

hexhamstu

i forget where i bought mine, a motor factors i think, and the problem with is its a screw in type but the top just has 2 flats for a spanner, which is fine untill you stick it down the spark plug holes on the mi16 and get it stuck.

marksorrento205
I've got a cheap £15 odd Gunsons one (Halfords sell them) and it's fine for what I need.

The actual figures I take with a pinch of salt (although they were within 5% of an expensive Snap On tester), but given that when you do a compression test what you're usually looking for is differences between cylinders and a feel of the overall compression, it's absolutely fine.

As said, make sure that it's a screw in tester, as the push in ones are utter rubbish. Other than that, for an average home mechanic, I'm not convinced that there's any real need to spend lots of money on a compression tester - there's far more important and frequently used tools where it's worth spending the extra.

Same as - Gunson one spot on. As anthony said dont get the push in one. With the screw in type you can do it on your own too, not have someone holding it on while you crank the engine

GLPoomobile

I've never tightened mine by spanner! Just do it hand tight.

omega

bought one of ebay 8pound new works fine

marksorrento205

Hand tight too

hexhamstu

i didnt do mine anything but handtight but when its down the spark plug hole and it isnt coming back out by hand it would have been nice to just stick a socket on the end and whip it out instead of having to mess about poking it with things.

Anthony
i didnt do mine anything but handtight but when its down the spark plug hole and it isnt coming back out by hand it would have been nice to just stick a socket on the end and whip it out instead of having to mess about poking it with things.

If it won't easily unscrew by hand, then the chances are that you've done it too tight - certainly I've never had an issue unscrewing one by hand on any engine, even those with deep spark plug wells like Mi16's