• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Are Mcgard Locking Wheel Bolts Any Good?

Atari Boy

I have heard disaster stories about how some locking wheel bolts break and knacker quite easily.

Are McGard any good or is there someone better to use?

I would be using them on standard 1.9 speedlines btw.

Thanks

Jonny

pug_ham

McGard are OK but they biggest problem with all locking wheel bolts is how they are tightened up when the wheel is fitted.

As with all wheel bolts they should be torqued up (not that tight either if you check the manual) but if they are repeatedly tightened with an air gun the locking key drive can shear when you next try to undo them leaving you stuck with a wheel bolt you can't undo.

If you get some the best plan imo is to take them off & refit a standard wheel nut if you are getting tyres swapped at a garage &then refit them yourself when you get home with a torque wrench.

Graham.

bensonmi

when i worked in a tyre garage before, i used to find the mcguards to be 1 of the best as far as locking wheel nuts go. avoid cheapy 1s like the ones with 3 pins they all break even by just undoing them with a wheel brace. make sure you dont over tighten them when fitting and maybe stick a bit of grease on them to avoid them corroding to the hub/wheel. but on my own cars i always take them off and use a standard nut, but if you live somewhere that the wheels are likely to get stolen, your better of putting some mcgaurds on, the other thing about them was when the owners had lost theyr locking wheel nuts, they where always the hardest to get off!

boombang

In my experience they are one of the best for not snapping the keys off, but like other locking nuts still can be removed in seconds using an air gun and appropriate tool.

pug_ham
when i worked in a tyre garage before, i used to find the mcguards to be 1 of the best as far as locking wheel nuts go. avoid cheapy 1s like the ones with 3 pins they all break even by just undoing them with a wheel brace. make sure you dont over tighten them when fitting and maybe stick a bit of grease on them to avoid them corroding to the hub/wheel. but on my own cars i always take them off and use a standard nut, but if you live somewhere that the wheels are likely to get stolen, your better of putting some mcgaurds on, the other thing about them was when the owners had lost theyr locking wheel nuts, they where always the hardest to get off!

Punctuation & full english please!!

Graham.

Rom

Im not sure, but i think Toyota OE lockers are made by Mc Guard.

Ive used Mc Guards for years, and i always use an airgun on and off. Never had a problem, although i do use special torque / torsion bars so i never load the nuts much.

Stay away from anything cheap. There cheap for a reason. And avoid the 3 pin type like the plague. Not only are they easy to break, but easy to get off without the correct key.

Atari Boy

Thanks chaps for the tips and comment.

I will see how I get on at Halfords with my trade card...

ablister

mcgard come standard on mazdas + fords. I hate all locking wheel nuts + everything about them

Masekwm
Thanks chaps for the tips and comment.

Please post how much discount you get on them.

pug_ham

Remarkably little I expect, maybe £2 tops imo.

Graham.

DRTDVL

they won't deture many people here...

They just get a socket on the end of and extention bar, smack the socket over the button bit and then undo the nut... sure they usually waste a socket as they can get stuck in there... but all in all it's more on a hinderance...

The ones on my gf's old car where a crazy star pattern (like a torx bit) with the star points in different locations depending on the key number... I've seen these removed with a large screwdriver....

Atari Boy
Remarkably little I expect, maybe £2 tops imo.

Graham.

Graham was right, no discount at all.

Worth a try though.