• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stimpysaurus

Rear Screen Heater

stimpysaurus

I was going to get some of that conductive paint to use on the heater strips on the rear screen but before going to all the effort of doing that is there a way i can check to see if theres even any current going to it in the first place?

I was thinking along the lines of turning it on and using a mulitimeter attached to the connecting wires or something.

Is that likely to work or will it be a complete idiotic failure? i serioulsy dont no how electricity works :blush:

I'm not sure but i think the very top strip works, which doesn't make sense to me cos none of the other connecting strips appear to work.

any replies are welcome - I will have a productive day tomorow!

MerlinGTI

pop the wires off the screen, attach the multi meter to the screen connectors. Set it to ohms (omega symbol) and you should get a reading. If this is the case it shows the silver paint strip thingys are intact and making a circuit... eliminating that being a problem. No reading = scrren strips are broken somewhere.

Then pop the multi meter on the cables that attach to the screen with the car running and the heated rear screen switch on. With the multi meter set to volts you should get a reading of 12v or there abouts. No reading = fuse or broken wiring somewhere.

I need to do this to mine, im so lazy!

saveloy

On the strips you should see 12V at one end and a gradual fall in voltage as you move across to the other side. Otherwise, you have an earth problem.

stimpysaurus

cool thanks for the info, I'll give it a try when i actually find the damn mulitmeter!

btw im loving ur pic saveloy :rolleyes: