• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest spanner87

Xs Questions!?

Guest spanner87

Hi guys, my name is carl, i have owned my xs for a while and is by far the most fun car i have driven :blush:

a few questions if you have time :

1:I recently smashed a nice big hole in my block and lost a con rod through it :lol: i replaced the engine with another 1360 alu block engine and put the twin choke solex from my old engine onto it,should this bring it up to xs spec or do i also need to fit the xs cam???

2:Does anybody have a pic or diagrams or even know which wires go on which terminals on the alternator and starter motor!? (was in such a rush changing the engine that i completely forgot to take note of the locations!)

3:Where would i get a replacement carb from? my solex twin choke is a pain in the a*** and i have stripped it and cleaned it to no avail! would prefer to stick to the solex though as it was perfect before it sh*t itself.

4:Any ideas where i would get the round rubber that sits underneath the top engine mount next to the strut?and also a bracket to hold my downpipe to the gearbox?

thanks for your time in reading this guys, i love this car and would love it to be back on the road asap :lol:

DSC00579.jpg

timmsy19

first off welcome to the club Carl

the xs cam will need fitting and you will want to keep your xs gearbox aswel.

i cant be much help with the rest sorry

Edited by timmsy19

swordfish210

1. Allready been answered

2. I can take some pics today and post them up for you if you want

3. There are some better carbs that fit the inlet manifold, Weber 32/36 DGV for example. Put a wanted ad up here and i'm sure someone will have a sapre Solex

4. You can get uprated engine mounts from Baker Bushes and Mountings (BBM) for a pretty good price that will bolt straight in.

Jrod

I've got a good solex here, came off my car only a few weeks ago and never had problems with it, Also got a group N lower engine mount already pressed into housing.

You can also have a look at the engine I have sat here to see how the wiring goes.

+ i'm 20 mins down the road from you.

Edited by Jrod

Guest spanner87

firstly thanks a lot guys :)

JROD your a diamond :) my step dad lives in clanfield as well so that would be ideal as im at his house every weekend!

i will send you a PM.

swordfish would be ace if you could take some pics anyway for reference!

thanks for the welcome.

Carl

DaveW

Nice car buddy, tho i would ditch the speedlines as they are heavy and takes the edge of the performance, you could try some 106 rallye steelies or even 1.6 gti alloys but they dont look as good!

BERTMAN

sod that, stick with the speedlines... who cares about straghtline speed in a 1.4? lol

Guest spanner87

im kinda happy with the speedlines to be honest, give the car a nice feel when driving it :rolleyes: if some rallye wheels came my way then maybe, but im not going out of my way to change them :D

i do miss driving her tho :( catches so many cars off guard, especially saxo vtr's :wacko:

djinuk

looks a real nice xs that does mate, i think everything has been answered but if needs be let me know if u need any pics of my engien etc

DaveW
sod that, stick with the speedlines... who cares about straghtline speed in a 1.4? lol

every little helps! plus the car will feel bit more lighter and nimble.. shame you cant buy lightweight 1.9 alloys!

Peetypug

i had some 14 steels on mine

i think they were ford wheels

i couldn't have smrs/speedlines as the car was 60mm drop all round

i miss it and would have another tomorrow, if i didn't have my GTI6 GTI :rolleyes:

Guest rmilbank

Im after a solex carb if anyone has one PM me please!!

BERTMAN

ive had standard XS wheels and 1.9 wheels on mine, and i just prefered the extra grip with the bigger wheels, and the better braking was nice too haha

swordfish210

Yeah i like the extra grip that i get from the wider speedlines as well, plus the look :lol:

Mind you the T1-R's that are on there atm dont provide much more grip the the Road Champs that were on my XS steels :)

AdamP

My favourite combination is the Avon ACB10s and Rallye steels on my RG :) Light steering but really responsive, probably a bit 'jiggly' and noisy for road use but just what you want on a hillclimb.

Guest spanner87

the 15"s rub if i hit a pothole or something so if and when i lower it i will probably end up going to 14's

a mate offered me some black 14" wellers which might look pretty cool :)

BERTMAN

yeh, rubbing on the back is a pain... mines rubbed through the paint and has exposed the shell!!! one of the reasons ive put it back on steelies, might get a set of 106 Xsi rims again, they look brilliant imo

DaveW

fit 45 profiles should clear the arches then!

BERTMAN

too poor to buy new tyres lol!!

Guest spanner87

i got 40's on the rear now but just not sure if it will rub when i hit a bump, but i stripped the back out anyway so its a lot lighter on the rear.has anyone else got any xs pics?just interested seing what people have done to theirs.

drmo

My brother's 205 xr rubs only with 3 people inside. It's quite low at the back and with standard gti dampers and xr beam (soon with 1.6 gti rear beam).

winter photo from 2years back:

UhuLx3j4p7F2njIb.v.jpg

last year's photo with 195/50 15 tyres:

D4YvZwbBeNydXlj0.v.jpg

Guest spanner87

ah very nice :P you have the same exhaust back box as mine! :(