• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chalky143

406 2.0 Coupe 1998 Engine Conversion?

chalky143

Will this fit on the engine mounts in my 1993 205 gti? does anyone know of the modifications involved?

(im aware the 406 normal engines fit in, im just wondering if the coupe is different as it is 16v)

thankyou

leon

Edited by chalky143

Richie-Van-GTi

if its a 2.0 16v then yes its just the normal 2.0 406 engine. It fits with minor modifications. A search for xu10j4r will bring up every thread you need.

ablister

i'm sure he means the ew engine?, as in the 206 gti, which isn't that easy to do (hilgie has done one iirc)

welshpug

did they ever fit the EW10 in the 406?

jackherer
did they ever fit the EW10 in the 406?

I've seen one in an '02 coupe.

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive never seen an EW in a 406 :blush:

RossD

All petrol 406's after about 2000 - 2001 had the EW engines in 1.8, 2.0 and 2.2 forms.

chalky143

well this one ive seen is 1998 2litre 16v. If it is that, do they fit on the mounts in the 205? and what modifications are required?

thankyou

leon

chalky143

linky this is the engine i may be buying, is this a straight forward swap or a ew engine.

thankyou

leon

RossD

That looks to be an XU10 - The inlet manifold is different on the EW10.

chalky143

Clicky This is the 2000 engine, there is a big difference, so the one i showed, is the one i need?lol. Does anyone know of the modifications involved to fit it in, does it fit on standard 205 mounts? i just dont want to buy the wrong engine thats all. my dad keeps saying it will be a cock up, they dont fit in the 205 :S

thankyou

leon

Edited by chalky143

RossD

Both of those engines are XU's

chalky143
Both of those engines are XU's

Are you sure, the 2nd one is completley different than the first, so will the first one fit in on the mounts? and does anyone know if i will have to use the the 406 gear linkage and driveshafts, or will the 205 ones fit?

thankyou

leon

RossD

XU Engine in a 406:

406saloon1.jpg

EW Engine:

a._piehoplanchet_1081021061_moteur.jpg

welshpug

second one linked to on ebay is not 2.0, its a 1.8 alloy block, confirmed by the LFY engine code and plastic cam covers.

whichever XU you chose, you'll need to use 205 driveshafts and gear linkages, the top mounting arm varies, generally you need to use a 405/306 one.

first one is impossible to tell from that view as the 1.8 also used the same intake, need a picture which shows the block and the cam covers.

Edited by welshpug

jengis
Does anyone know of the modifications involved to fit it in, does it fit on standard 205 mounts? i just dont want to buy the wrong engine thats all. my dad keeps saying it will be a cock up, they dont fit in the 205 :S

Ha Ha. Of all the engines you have posted links to the 306 XU10J4R (306 XSi 16v, in another thread) one is the best bet for £200. As to weather it will fit.... not without some things being altered, as with most conversions. If you want to prove your dad wrong then get the engine, do your reseasrch very thouroughly and be prepared for the car to be off the road for some time! But you will succeed with help from here.

Good luck :rolleyes:

Edited by jengis

Richie-Van-GTi

Quick one on this subject, kind of. How different are the EW engines? Do the XU boxes fit onto them etc?

jplautomotive

i dont think the xu box fits the ew , xu box is be3 ew box is be4 , i think the bell housing is different and they run hydrolic

clutch

jonny

welshpug

Being a BE4 doesn't mean the box doesn't fit, there are a few different bellhousings on the BE4, XU, TU and EW. I think the DW is sat at the same angle as the XU.

but yes, an XU box wont fit an EW engine, unless you swap the bellhousing.

Richie-Van-GTi

Is this swap necessary for the clutch or is it purely the mounting points are wrong?

welshpug

EW sits at 15 degrees IIRC, XU's angle is 30, the intermediate driveshaft housing is of course different to suit the angle of the block.

Sign in to follow this