• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ethos

What Controls The Radiator Fan?

Ethos

Hi guys

Had a weird starting issue with the Mi16 where you'd get nothing but a relay click when trying to start it up. Refurbed the starter motor and the problem went away... until today. Exactly the same thing.

Speant some time today looking for anything obvious (assuming the starter was ok), nothing- so I thought i'd try it one last time before lunch. Tried to start it, nothing- push the accelerator pedal down and it fired up?!!!!!

Only thing I can thing that'd do is allow more air into the intake system (even tho it wasn't cranking) .. or something. Any ideas what that is all about?!

Also, noticed the radiator fan isn't starting, what controls that?

On a side note, some good oil pressure today!

IMG_0014.jpg

Richie-Van-GTi

sounds more like a dodgy starter motor solenoid wire, very typical 205 issue. Pressing the pedal probably disturbed it and resolved the issue. Run a wire direct to solenoid from the ignition switch, should solve it.

Radiator fan is switched by a switch inside the radiator, look for blue plug on nearside of the rad.

Ethos
sounds more like a dodgy starter motor solenoid wire, very typical 205 issue. Pressing the pedal probably disturbed it and resolved the issue. Run a wire direct to solenoid from the ignition switch, should solve it.

Radiator fan is switched by a switch inside the radiator, look for blue plug on nearside of the rad.

I think that's what Steve suggested to me the first time I mentioned the problem :rolleyes:

The solenoid is the large connector that the "power loom" is connected to on the starter yes (not that small spade that connects to the multiplug)? Where is the ignition switch and what gauge wire is needed?

Sweet, thanks mate.

Richie-Van-GTi

yes its the small spade terminal that will be the issue. Just use same guage wire as currently on there and run it right back to ignition switch. Often just running to the brown multiplug under the dash is sufficient though.

Ethos

Hmm, I'm running the cable straight from the start motor back to the brown multiplug under the dash already... as when I did the conversion this was the easiest way.

Where is the ignition switch? You'd think i'd be better at this considering I did the conversion would you? :rolleyes:

CosKev

Ignition switch is on the end of ignition barrel,you know that thing you poke your key in and turn!!!!!!!!! :):P:D

Check your spade connector is a tight fit onto the solenoid,just give it a little pinch with pliers if it feels loose,also check for corrosion on both parts :)

Check your rad switch and the wiring plug that go into it for corrosion/damp too.

Edited by CosKev

Sign in to follow this