• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dicky20014

Windscreen Replacing

dicky20014

Have got a large crack in my windscreen so it is going to need replacing! have just phoned up that autoglass repair place you always see advertised on telly and they quoted me £390. I actually burst out laughing! I presume this is completely rediculous? I always thought it was around the £70 mark? Has anyone had any previous experience with this / know a decent company that can do it for a reasonable price? would prefer for them to come to me, based in cumbria, any help much appreciated :D

swordfish210

Try National Mobile Windscreens, they did mine for £60 i think

kjd4000

I had mine done through my insurance and only paid £70, didn't make any difference to my policy. I had someone come out to my house next day to fit it.

boombang

I'm sure someone recently posted about buying a screen for about £70 brand new. IIRC they went to a glass place and bought it over the counter.

Fitting is easy enough to do yourself too - use rope to pull in the seal, and ideally have a mate to help.

EDIT: this goes to show what happens when you have to split up a cat fight mid-post. Get two more useful replies in the meantime!

Edited by boombang

Rom

Worth checking your insurance. A lot of policies cover glass without effecting your claims. Around £70 is the usual excess.

£390 is taking the piss.

Screens on older cars like this are normally no more than £100 fitted as a rough guide. Ive had a fiar few in different cars over the years, and never paid anywhere near £390

Redtop

I bought a new 'bronze' tint screen for my gti for £60+vat from National windcreens. That was only 2 months ago. It's not a bonded in screen so shouldn't be too dear, just the labour for someone fitting it ontop of that, as I fitted my own.

tagy

£390! lol.

I just replaced my windscreen, £20 second hand from ebay, popped it in myself.

GLPoomobile

If this is on a 205 then 390 quid is stupid money. When I cracked the windscreen on my recent rental Polo (a new one) I checked to see how much a new screen would be (so that I didn't get raped by Sixt on return of the car) and it was about 270 quid from Autoglass.

However, I'd be surprised if you can get a new windscreen supplied and fitted for 70 quid unless you are in the trade, and would assume that those have had it done must have been covered by their insurance, with the 70 quid being the excess. Is that correct?

Think about it - it's a big old piece of glass and you'd be paying a minimum 1 hour labour (even though it takes less than that). When you put it in to perspective, 70 quid is silly cheap to have a windscreen replaced.

Masekwm

www.motaglaze.co.uk/

These guys in Luton quoted £80 without going through the insurance to fit a bronze screen to my 205.

DaveW

A 205 has the easiest winscreen change ever, takes like 20-30 mins and even got my mum to help me to do it! just need string and fairy liquid to get the screen in.

Tom Fenton

My advice is get your yellow pages out and ring round some small independant local firms for quotes. Avoid the large "names" as they will quote silly prices as you have found out. I'd expect you to be able to get a screen fitted for something like £80-£100.

Matt Holley

I had mine replaced with a brand new screen last year for £60, no insurance claim either, I am in the motor trade though

dicky20014

Cheers for the replies guys! much appreciated! I have managed to get it down to £150 so far (much better than £390!!) but reckon I can get it down a bit further so will try a few more this week. I dont really want to fit it myself, do most of the work on my car myself but would like piece of mind that it has been done right on this one. I will post up the final price and who did it when I get it done for future reference if anyone needs it :)

dicky20014

Managed to sort this, just got a quote off nationwide at Barrow for a £100 fitted. Which seems pretty reasonable! so have booked it in for fri :wacko:. He said he'd be able to work out what the tint was (as i dont know) but does anyone else know what it is off the top of their head?

Masekwm

It's Bronze as standard

Ren

It's bronze if it's a gti, if not it will be green or clear depending on the model. Easiest way to tell if you're not sure is to hold a piece of white paper on the inside of the screen and look through from outside. You'll be able to see the tint against the paper.

Been waiting to do a string-in screen at work so I can take pics and do a guide to go on here but as everything is bonded these days they are few and far between.

Ren

28CRAIG
Been waiting to do a string-in screen at work so I can take pics and do a guide to go on here but as everything is bonded these days they are few and far between.

Ren

In that case you can fit my heated screen when i need it doing :)

Ren

Haha, cheeky fooker. Not a problem though if you come up to me, let me know if you want it.

Ren