• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

2.0 8v Problems. (not Turbo)

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive put a 2.0 8v into my 405, the engine came from a 306 and is in with a proper 405 2.0 8v loom and ecu. When I first put the engine in there was a head fault which resulted in oil squirting back out of it. So a fresh head and gasket has got it running although the management light comes on and goes off and although it starts and idles fine it smokes a bit and smells a touch over fueled. Also if you open the throttle too fast the engine just borks and dies, it will rev cleanly if you are really gentle with the throttle though. Ive swapped the entire intake system for another but no difference, next options are either ecu temp sensor or lambda. just wondered what opinions would be as I dont want to waste my time.

Also can any 12v LED be used for flashing out faults?

quick edit, searching through autodata shows the 405 had CR of 8.8 but the 306 had CR of 9.5, could this be the cause? A search of my ecu comes back as same ecu in 306, 405, zx and xantia so surely the CR cant be the issue.

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

Richie-Van-GTi

Just swapped temp sensor and its still the same, although the ecu light went out (possibly just reset after leaving battery off). It now throws great clouds of smoke out when revved which smells just like its over fueling. Oil and water are fine, not being used or pressurising etc.

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

SeanO'Connor

Has changing the temp sensor made it worse then?

nick

Have you tried unplugging the temp sensor when the engine up to temerature? Check the wiring to the sensor, it sounds exactly the same as mine when the earth to the temp sensor broke inside the loom.

Nick

Richie-Van-GTi

Its still just as bad as before and the light is still coming on intermittant. I just checked the timing and its bang on but now concerned as pressure test just showed left to right 90,90,110,90 in psi. Prior to the head fault it had 180,180,120,90. The one currently reading 110 did drop to 100 on second test so possibly just some left over petrol in there. All sparkies are very black sooted so definatley over fueling. Could it now just be bore washed right through to cause such a dramatic drop? I cant understand why its so badly over fueled. I ran a continuity from temp sensor to ecu and its fine right through and sesnor resistance tally's with autodata figures. The new head came from a fiat ulysee 2.0 8v. Maybe the cam is milder so its not getting enough air? or its pegged different (doubtful)

carbers205

Richie the cams on the 8v are so mild i suspect you could put just a rod in there and it would have more lift! So thats def not your prob.

You can flash your ecu codes manually really easily using this link here and the results can be interpreted with this one!

Should make things a little clearer.

Just for reference my lambda failed on this engine and the only real effect was shown on my mot emissions test with super high readings so i doubt its that either

Andy

Richie-Van-GTi

The saga continues, it now has 170-180 psi on all pots after running for a while, I flashed the fault codes to get none at all, the ecu light went out and came back on but still wont give up a code :rolleyes: . It sometimes revs up nice and freely with no issues whatsoever but under load it still bogs down, most the time it just bogs down regardless. Ive done every test available on all sensors and they all seem to be fine, only thing not tested is lambda. I stuck a colourtune in and its definatley running rich.

carbers205

Have a flick through this mate, could be of use.

Not sure what else I can suggest

Sign in to follow this