• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mattw

Can I Repair A Cracked Manifold For An Mot?

mattw

Hi,

I'm in the process of trying to get my 1988 1.9 through an MOT. The last thing I need to do is sort the exhaust out.

The backbox has pretty much fallen apart so will deffinatly need to be replaced. The rest of the system looks fine except the manifold which has a single crack in it. Can this be repaired with exhaust paste or something similar to get it through the MOT or would it just be worth replacing the lot as I need to do the backbox too?

Any help would be great!

Matt

boombang

Chances are as soon as it heats up the exhaust paste would crack and fall off. They can be welded back up but being cast can be a real pain to do.

I've got a full pattern system (Arvin Meritor) here that's brand new if you're interested. Bought it to fit to a 205 that I then sold as it was.

mattw

How about putting paste on a wrapping it up with heat wrap?

How much would you be after? (I presume its manifold all the way to backbox?)

boombang

That would probably do a better job of covering it up TBH, and if they can't see or hear it then they won't know it's there.

It's the full system, downpipe (with split) all the way to the backbox.

Think they are in the region of £120 all in brand new, plus delivery (buypartby.com). Happy to let it go for £100.

mattw

I think I'll give it a miss thanks mate as I would only replace the whole system if I was replacing the manifold too.

If i can patch up the manifold and replace the backbox and get it through the MOT then I think that would be easier!

Redtop

If you are going to get it welded, get someone to do it right as I had to replace mine. Get it v'd out and welded straight as someone repaired the one on mine, but the manifold was warped from the welding and it sheared a stud in the head because they just tightened it up to head to 'straighten it'. It would be a bad job to remove with the engine/ head in the car. Probably best to try and find a known good manifold:).

mattw

Good spot, I've just PMed him!

pugpete1108

i had mine brazed but i never used it so i wouldn't know if it worked or not, still got it knocking about somewhere if you are interested?

SeanO'Connor

Migged mine with stainless wire, been perfect.

Sign in to follow this