• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Oberon

My Stdt Has No Oomph Since New Cam Belt & Water Pump. Any Ideas ?

Oberon

Cheers to everybody that tried to help get this thing sorted.

Good news, it is now sorted. Bad news, it was down to my own cowboy skills.

Basically in the last week or so I was getting problems with the battery not getting a decent charge. tried a few things such as changing one of the terminals which was a bit dodgy, then even soldering it. No use.

Started checking out the alternator (which is a 70amp one from the scrappy, not long ago), replacing the spade connector, and then noticed that the belt was wobbling.

Got down to slacken the bottom nut in order to try and re align it and....................... THE FOOKING PULLEY WAS LOOSE flapping in the wind.

Tightened this back up and the battery light went out straight away.

Well having driven the car today I can definately say that the pain in the arse noise was down to this, as were all the other symptoms.

The car is now driving as it should. The difference is unbeleivable.

I now feel really stupid........... but big brownie points to JimmiSTDT it WAS something trivial, I still can't beleive it was all down to this.

Its no gti but compared to how it was before it is a real pleasure to drive. Lets hope it stays this way for a while.

Cheers Raj.

jimistdt

Glad you got it all sorted , mate, you can get out and enjoy it again. :)

Oberon

Yo Jimistdt it was sorted briefly..

The alternator pulley was tightened and it sorted out briefly before starting to rattle again. Peugeot could'nt get a new pulley for ages so I got a temporary one from the scrappers off a 309 diesel. The one that came off was fooked as the groove that the woodruff key goes into was enlarged from flapping around.

So I put loads of thread lock on a cleaned up pulley bolt and fitted the pulley. The woodruff key had some movement left and right. It is better than before but the problem has'nt gone. I can hear the key rattling still.

How can I sort this out before I put a new pulley on? Is this likely to damage the crankshaft? Or is the crankshaft itself fooked?

I definately need to replace the pulley for the proper one as the one that came off was lightweight alloy or something and the one I got off the 309 is alot heavier. But I need to get this key problem sorted before hand.

Please guys any help/advice appreciated.

Raj

Edited by Oberon

Pob

The loose pulley has probably caused the hole for the key to be enlarged slightly? I would try a replacement woodruff key, if you find its still loose you could try a thicker woodruff key and grind it down to fit... How tight are you tightening it up? Torque setting?

Dan

Yo Jimistdt it was sorted briefly..

The alternator pulley was tightened and it sorted out briefly before starting to rattle again. Peugeot could'nt get a new pulley for ages so I got a temporary one from the scrappers off a 309 diesel. The one that came off was fooked as the groove that the woodruff key goes into was enlarged from flapping around.

So I put loads of thread lock on a cleaned up pulley bolt and fitted the pulley. The woodruff key had some movement left and right. It is better than before but the problem has'nt gone. I can hear the key rattling still.

How can I sort this out before I put a new pulley on? Is this likely to damage the crankshaft? Or is the crankshaft itself fooked?

I definately need to replace the pulley for the proper one as the one that came off was lightweight alloy or something and the one I got off the 309 is alot heavier. But I need to get this key problem sorted before hand.

Please guys any help/advice appreciated.

Raj

24seven

I'd be cautious of any temporary bodge repairs as it could lead to damaging the crankshaft where the woodruff key lines up, meaning some potentially costly matching of the shaft to a pulley, or a new shaft, i.e. you may as well drop a new engine in there. Get a new pulley & woodruff key ASAP.

Oberon
I'd be cautious of any temporary bodge repairs as it could lead to damaging the crankshaft where the woodruff key lines up, meaning some potentially costly matching of the shaft to a pulley, or a new shaft, i.e. you may as well drop a new engine in there. Get a new pulley & woodruff key ASAP.

Cheers guys I have the pulley on order so I'll try and order a new woodruff key as well. Can you tell me how it is fitted?

Thanks.

Sign in to follow this