• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

Gasket Paper

chocolate_o_brian

I was faffing about today with the Pug at a mates, and noticed I have a little coolant leak from where the thermostat gasket is. I assume its buggered or even missing (considering the stupidity of the previous owner). Anywho, I can't seem to find just the gasket anywhere, so again assume it would be a full thermostat option. So I bought some of this brown gasket paper from a local car place (not Halfords!!) for the grande sum of 72p.

I'm not sure on a method though to cut it to shape and fit. I understand I'll loose a load of coolant from the top radiator hose when unplugging the metal thermostat cap where the gasket/sealent is.

Any ideas/methods or past experiences with this, would really be appreciated. I have bought 2 litres of coolant to replace any lost while I bugger something else up :lol:

Cheers

Andy

Edit: This is a pic of what I mean...

DSC00132.jpg

Edited by chocolate_o_brian

Fox

Bit of water/light oil on the part, then stick it onto the paper, cross your fingers as you pull the two apart and you should have a nice wet mark to cut around.

Thats how i've been usung it anyway, anyone any differnet?

Fox

Or try this, neat little guide - Gasket

There's something therapeutic about making a gasket, or maybe I'm just a little bit sad...

Edited by Fox

chocolate_o_brian
Bit of water/light oil on the part, then stick it onto the paper, cross your fingers as you pull the two apart and you should have a nice wet mark to cut around.

Thats how i've been usung it anyway, anyone any differnet?

The only thing I could think of was drawing round the cap after unscrewing it and cutting around it with some scissors, making a hole in the middle :wacko: Daft or sensible idea?

Just read that link and it pretty much explains what I was going to do. Suppose it's a case of draining the coolant first and unattaching the cap to get an accurate result. Hopefully I will have a postive outcome lol.

Edited by chocolate_o_brian

Fox
The only thing I could think of was drawing round the cap after unscrewing it and cutting around it with some scissors, making a hole in the middle :wacko: Daft or sensible idea?

Yeah, you dont want the gasket upsetting the flow of coolant though, or worse bits coming off and blocking up your rad

welshpug

there isn't a gasket used there, there's a rubber seal that sits either side of the thermostat.

chocolate_o_brian
there isn't a gasket used there, there's a rubber seal that sits either side of the thermostat.

Orrrr bugger :wacko:

Can you show me (on the picture I posted) where you mean?

There must be something around the cap, as otherwise either a metal one (like mine) or a plastic on will continuously weep surely "double :blush::wacko: "

Rom

Gaskets are over rated !! (other than the head variety)

I use sealer for a majority of of anything i build, be it my Mi or at work.

I did try making a gasket for the throttle body until i could get a new one. It worked, but wasnt great. I just used a razor blade to cut it.

Cameron

Same way I'd make any paper / card template: lay the gasket paper over the face of the part, using your grubby fingers rub around the edge of the part and it will put a nice crease and dirty line on the paper. Cut it out. Done.

jplautomotive

or way i do ball pain hammer hold paper on item and tap ball part of hammer on edge so it cuts it and a ball bearing for the holes and tap the bearing so that cuts it come out perfect :wacko: normaly lol

jonny

j_turnell

As mentioned its the rubber O ring that provides the seal but i have had them leak on me before. Just apply some instant gasket, i've never had any problems using this method.

dcc

I've used a tad of RTV sealant on the edge of mine and it seals great. I've taken it apart a few times after, and its just a case of stanley to cut the old RTV off and a slight dab of new rtv! every time so far (fingers crossed) there has not been any RTV pushed into the thermostat housing.

Cameron

Surely you can just get a new seal from a motor factors?

chocolate_o_brian

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Think I'm gonna try the gasket paper thing. I've looked and cannot figure out what or where these rubber seals are, so gonna try the paper thing. Looked on Ebay, tried local car parts shops, and I would have to buy a whole thermostat to get any gaskets etc, it's not worth that much hassle.

Cameron

If you take the thermostat out, the rubber seal is around the edge of it. If it isn't there, that would explain the leak! :o

jeremy

I'm not 100% sure on this, however you may find that there is an indent for the rubber sealing ring to sit in on the part that connects to the top hose. If this is the case I would not think making your own sealing gasket will be sufficient enough. Personally I think you would be better off spending a few extra pennies to make sure you have used the correct item in this case, however that is up to you.

chocolate_o_brian

Well, it was a pain to get off, and as soon as the two connecting nuts came off, I saw the problem. It had what seemed some simple black silicone sealing it and nothing else. So I got the gasket paper, cut it to the correct shape (with a hole in the middle for the coolant :o), and one either side for the nuts and proceeded to make a mess with the gasket sealant I bought ;)

Blue stuff called 'Hylomar Universal Blue' was bought from a local motor shop, nd was recommended for coolant applications. Anywho, a little messy but two good layers of sealant on either side of the makeshift gasket. On the top where the cap joins to the block, there was an inner ring which stuck out. This got a layer of sealant too and is currently drying while I clean the K&N air filter. If it doesn't solve the problem, I'll have it checked saturday when I have the fueling sorted out as per other thread. Thanks for the advice guys, appreciated.

Phil H

The rubber seals are about 30p each from the dealers.

SeanO'Connor

Using a hammer (Ball-pein) as mentioned is the only correct way to make paper gaskets. i don't think this will cure your leak though as the gasket you require is an O ring rubber seal, which works in a complete different method to a paper gasket.

chocolate_o_brian
Using a hammer (Ball-pein) as mentioned is the only correct way to make paper gaskets. i don't think this will cure your leak though as the gasket you require is an O ring rubber seal, which works in a complete different method to a paper gasket.

Well hopefully the rubbery paste sealant I used will do the job then. I'll check on the coolant level on a regular basis (well more regularly now), and see if it dips. AFAIK there aren't any other leaks in the system, or at least no tell tale signs.

Can anyone recommend a good Peugeot dealers arouns the Sc*nthorpe/North Lincs area. When I had the Scoob, I was very wary of some dealers, and don't have any experience of Peugeot ones yet. Oh, while I'm asking, has anyone a pert/reference number for the bit I will probably require in the long run???

Flix

Rusty's at Lakeside are now a Pug dealer, but don't have a parts department.

Next nearest are Evans Halshaw, Doncaster.

Cameron

I wasn't aware there was a "correct way" to cut a piece of paper! :lol:

SeanO'Connor

There isn't a correct way to cut paper, however there is a correct way to make an efficent gasket, that will seal and last an acceptable service life.

welshpug

there is of course the proper way to fix the leak, i.e replace the rubber seals.....

Cameron

Yeah, but Im struggling to see how you can get a better seal by using a hammer than cutting with some scissors. :lol:

Sign in to follow this