• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chocolate_o_brian

Gasket Paper

Rob Turbo

The pug part number for the rubber seal is 1339 10, costs £1.61 or 1340 30 which costs £1.81 (from 1990 onwards), not sure what the difference between them is though.

Flix

Is there one seal or two needed?

jplautomotive

service box shows one in the pic but 2 in the quantity coloum , if i remember right there should

be two one each side of the stat

pic of housing

Edited by jplautomotive

Flix

That makes sense now.

I bought a new stat today and it came with 3 different seals.

When I tried fitting it, to a GTI6 motor with an adaptor for the 1.9 elbow, the stat was loose.

But only one of the seals fitted. I'll see if I can scrounge another one.

chocolate_o_brian
The pug part number for the rubber seal is 1339 10, costs £1.61 or 1340 30 which costs £1.81 (from 1990 onwards), not sure what the difference between them is though.

Does the rubber seal sit inside the indentation on the cap or on the metal section of the thermostat.

With my limited knowledge of this, (and some of the sarcastic replies), I'm getting the impression I am talking about something totally different :D

Think i'll leave it at that. If it leaks, I'll fix it again and learn from experience and order a genuine gasket. I'll ask again if someone can look at my pic on page one of what I thought was a simple thread and point out where these seal(s) go... PLEASE :)

Flix
service box shows one in the pic but 2 in the quantity coloum , if i remember right there should

be two one each side of the stat

pic of housing

Click on the link Andy.

There should be 2 seals, one each side of the stat, the pic shows one.

SeanO'Connor

You get a better gasket, beacuse it fits the metal surface exactly, as you follow the contours with the hammer, It will fit perfect, unlike a gasket cut out with scissors. I used ti make them regularly for a 1275 ton per square inch Lowey hydromatic press, when I worked in the steel trade. Gaskets were no longer available for the machine, as it was made in the 1940's.

chocolate_o_brian

This is gonna sound strange, but I don't think I have a thermostat on my car then. When I unscrewed the cap, there was nothing insider or underneath. Just a metal cap, bolted onto the metal housing.

Is this a bad thing, as I have a manual switch for the twin fans when the water temp goes high.

Just to say, this is why I misunderstood what folk were saying about 2 seals. As there isn't a 'stat I only needed to make one seal. Is there a possibility the 'stat is elsewhere, as some kind of modification?

Edited by chocolate_o_brian

welshpug

that be why its leaking!

you just need to buy a stat then, most will come with the appropriate seals :D

if the cooling system is up to scratch you shouldn't need a manual switch at all.

Flix

Makes me wonder why the thermostat has been removed.

Will be running cold, no wonder your MPG has been poor.

chocolate_o_brian
Makes me wonder why the thermostat has been removed.

Will be running cold, no wonder your MPG has been poor.

I've sent you 2 pm's on c.a.m. mate, as the below picture seems to be another piece of an increasing puzzle...

DSC00133.jpg

As per the pm I sent Chris, could the lack of 'stat be either a deciding factor in a head gasket issue, or something used to hide it. I know what I mean!! :huh:

For the record, I took the pic when I did the paper gasket thing, as I needed to remove the filler cap for access between hoses etc.

pip470

Hi mate, the mayo looks worse than i would be happy with to say its normal to be honest, It could of been removed to try and keep the temp down however what you have there is water mising with the oil and this although not good for the engine will not make it over heat unless the gasket has also broken into the combustion chambers. I would do a few checks first such as the colour of the plugs ( sorry if this has all been mentioned) to see if any look clean/er ( sign of water in the combustion chamber) also a pressure test and or a leak down test which ever is available. I run without a thermostat on the road and on my drag car, I try and keep the temp around 60-70 degrees, I know this is no good for fuel consumption but on the other hand the car is less prone to pre ignition especially when using nitrous like I am, I feel happier activating it with the temp at 60 than 90+. Renault five boys also remove thiers in the summer to also try and keep heat down.

I would prepare to do the head gasket though from the look of those pics.

Phill

chocolate_o_brian
Hi mate, the mayo looks worse than i would be happy with to say its normal to be honest, It could of been removed to try and keep the temp down however what you have there is water mising with the oil and this although not good for the engine will not make it over heat unless the gasket has also broken into the combustion chambers. I would do a few checks first such as the colour of the plugs ( sorry if this has all been mentioned) to see if any look clean/er ( sign of water in the combustion chamber) also a pressure test and or a leak down test which ever is available. I run without a thermostat on the road and on my drag car, I try and keep the temp around 60-70 degrees, I know this is no good for fuel consumption but on the other hand the car is less prone to pre ignition especially when using nitrous like I am, I feel happier activating it with the temp at 60 than 90+. Renault five boys also remove thiers in the summer to also try and keep heat down.

I would prepare to do the head gasket though from the look of those pics.

Phill

Thanks mate. In my current predicament, I doubt I could afford the work involved for a new head gasket, so it may end up being sold cheap, which is harsh considering what I have put into it. :huh:

welshpug

I wouldn't worry about that just yet, short journeys and cold weather can do that, especially if the engine doesn't have a thermostat and is constantly running cold and rich, its what these engines tend to do so clean it out and keep an eye on it, any on the dipstick is a different story though.

Sort the thermostat out, make sure the fan/s work as intended and go from there, wont cost you a great deal at all.

chocolate_o_brian
I wouldn't worry about that just yet, short journeys and cold weather can do that, especially if the engine doesn't have a thermostat and is constantly running cold and rich, its what these engines tend to do so clean it out and keep an eye on it, any on the dipstick is a different story though.

Sort the thermostat out, make sure the fan/s work as intended and go from there, wont cost you a great deal at all.

Right, I'll go give it a clean (oil filler cap), and check the dipstick. There haven't been any other tell tale signs of the head gasket going like oily coloured coolant or bubbling etc. Thermostat, I'll have to pick one up asap obviously, and the fans work fine as long as I have the manual switch working. I always flick the switch when it reaches about 3-4 on the water temp gauge.

I guess if I had some time before impending failure, I could save up for the work, depending on the cost. I'm just going to supposedly get the fueling sorted out at a local knowledgeable garage, but will ask for any checks to be done now instead.

Didstick is good, coolant is good, but took the rolled up wire out of the filler cap and it was totally bunged up with the milky stuff. Cleaned it out the filler housing too. This doesn't look terribly good. Maybe keep aneye out for a cheap 205 in the "for sales" section :huh:

welshpug

personally I would dispense with the manual switch and make sure that the thermoswitch in the rad is working :huh:

jengis

Please don't give up up on it just yet!

Mayo in the filler would be expected with the engine running too cold! Get a new 'stat and take it from there.

Any other engine problems? If not, whats the worry? get a rad switch from any 205 from the scrappy - problems should be solved for £10 :huh:

chocolate_o_brian

Well.... just got back and its good news :lol:

Mel (the mechanic) did a head gasket test first after I explained my worries and it came back el-negative. Used the washer bottle fluid test, and it didn't turn yellow. That and other signs he told me suggested it was really nothing to concern myself over. The car was running obscenly rich (7.5 something on the emissions gizmo), so when he adjusted that and the the idle to an acceptable level, the car sounded lovely.

The lack of thermostat hasn't helped the car, and I will be getting one today if possible to stick in. The fans switch is ok as is he said. But due to the unintelligence of the previous owner, it would need totally rewiring with a thick gauge wire. Thats something I will get to in the future, to save flicking switches left, right and centre.

The main thing is the engines fine, runs sweet as now, and my MPG will significantly increase. Oh, and the milky residue in the filler cap wasn't a concern either, just a mixture of the weather and crap engine running.

So, to Halfords... and a thermostat :huh:

Would like to thank folk on here for their input, and obviously Mel and Chris for putting my mind at ease.

jengis

Nice one! Very glad to hear that.

Thats the great thing about the forums, there's good advice in here somewhere!

In hindsight, it may have been you adjusting your idle speed by turning the idle mixture srew that wrecked your MPG... as Welshpug said.

Edited by jengis

chocolate_o_brian
Nice one! Very glad to hear that.

Thats the great thing about the forums, there's good advice in here somewhere!

In hindsight, it may have been you adjusting your idle speed by turning the idle mixture srew that wrecked your MPG... as Welshpug said.

Aye, it had to be done due to replacing cracked air/breather hoses. The idle was very high after doing this and I didn't/don't have the knowledge or tools to adjust the mixture screw. It's all good now though, and for £10 piece of mind.

Mate has a trade card for Halfords so will get thermostat nice and cheap, with rubber seals!!

Sign in to follow this