• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

edbar

Has anyone used the 300-490 for the 1.9 8v? any ideas what sort of torque and power they are capable of? think it is 300 degree and 12.4mm lift. I am using twin 45's ported standard size valve head with double kent valve springs, standard rods and pistons, arp bolts balanced etc. Just wondered if anyone has something similar? Cheers, Edd.

Sandy

Yes and it worked very well, excellent spread of power with 45 TBs, Shillaber head, Catcam springs, Omega pistons, Longman's proper 4-2-1 etc.

It requires a fair bit of material removal from the head to clear, the spray rail needs to be modified to clear and clamping it down on installation is tricky.

Edited by Sandy

edbar

Thats what im looking for really, decent power spread but loads of grunt. any idea what figures that made? I know that my spec is different just interested in what it is cappable of with the omega pistons?

Sandy

Peak power was capped by the tailpipe that was already fitted (1.6" ID), as you can see from the graph but never the less:

post-2671-1230447379_thumb.jpg

edbar

Torque is the dotted line? Looks like i hoped it would, Surprised there is so much grunt so soon! I take it the exhaust is critical then, so any suggestions for the manifold and system? Also wouldn't the design of manifold affect how soon the engine"comes on cam"? Thanks for the help. :P

Sandy

And it drives exactly like that. It's how things work out when it all comes together as it should. There'll be more peak power when the tailpipe's properly sorted out. There was still a few details on the engine I'd like to have improved, but the remit was to make what was already there work to give a good usable and friendly spread of grunt. The cam was exactly the sort of profile I wanted when I measured the lift curve. The exhaust manifold could be improved to flatten the slight dip from 4000-5500rpm given more development; but you're right on about how important the manifold is to the package. The inlet is equally critical and featured twin injectors staged on duty, which helps general behaviour no end. The head was Longman ported originally, but Mark Shillaber made some slight changes we felt would optimise it for this application and Mark's work is amongst the best in the business IMO if you want a good spread of power and top notch responsiveness.

edbar

Have ported the head myself and tried some of my own ideas which might not work but i do have spare heads if it turns out to be a rotter lol. I have twin 45's so im stuck in the dark ages although would mapped ignition be worthwhile? I just wanted to try something new and different to the kent pt27 and looks like a good choice i made so far.

Sandy

Yes I would strongly recommend mapped ignition, it seriously modernises a carb'd engine! All the DCOE/DTA engines I've set up have been extremely nice to use. For the difference in cost, you might as well get the full management box, to give you the option of going all the way down the line.

edbar

I'll have to see what i can budget for but i would definately add mapped ignition in the future. Do you have a web site sandy?

Sandy

No, I prefer to be incognito :huh:

pip470
Yes I would strongly recommend mapped ignition, it seriously modernises a carb'd engine! All the DCOE/DTA engines I've set up have been extremely nice to use. For the difference in cost, you might as well get the full management box, to give you the option of going all the way down the line.

That is the best advice ever, I wish someone had said that to me before I bought my ingnition mangement, there was only £100 differance too. Good advice as always sandy.

ifcho
Yes and it worked very well, excellent spread of power with 45 TBs, Shillaber head, Catcam springs, Omega pistons, Longman's proper 4-2-1 etc.

It requires a fair bit of material removal from the head to clear, the spray rail needs to be modified to clear and clamping it down on installation is tricky.

I have this cam but did not need to modify the head or spray bar :-/

And I just can dream of the power figures you have achieved, but I am pretty satisfied with the performance as well (we never managed to tune the car properly actually...and I hope next year we will get some better results..).

Do you mind sharing the exhaust manifold dimensions (primary/secondary lengths, diameter). I can make my own manifold, and I prefer that option from getting a cheap one from ebay., that may not actually work well, but I'm not too confident that I will get the lengths/diameter right ? I guess it is one of the key components for making the engine work properly?

Also can you give some advice on the cam timing? Did you use the specs from newman's catalogue, or you fine tuned the timing on a dyno session?

Sandy

Yours might have been ground on a smaller base circle perhaps?

post-2671-1230620004_thumb.jpg

I didn't measure that exhaust manifold; it was going to be used anyway! I'd rather not give away the exact dimensions I use, but as a starting point for development, 1 3/4" by 26" primaries and 1 7/8" by 8" secondaries with a 2 1/4" system would be a damn good start.

I timed the cam how I thought it would work well and it did turn out well, so I didn't adjust it. Again, I'd rather not give away specifics, but suffice to say it was advanced slightly.

Edited by Sandy

ifcho

Ok. I understand why you won't will to share this information.

Thank you anyway, the info you have given me is a good starting point :lol:

edbar

So ill have to take the springs out, dummy fit the cam and rotate it, and die grind out any high spots is that correct?

midnight motorsport
Yours might have been ground on a smaller base circle perhaps?

post-2671-1230620004_thumb.jpg

I didn't measure that exhaust manifold; it was going to be used anyway! I'd rather not give away the exact dimensions I use, but as a starting point for development, 1 3/4" by 26" primaries and 1 7/8" by 8" secondaries with a 2 1/4" system would be a damn good start.

I timed the cam how I thought it would work well and it did turn out well, so I didn't adjust it. Again, I'd rather not give away specifics, but suffice to say it was advanced slightly.

Is this what car i think it is sandy? :-)

Sandy

I think so!

So ill have to take the springs out, dummy fit the cam and rotate it, and die grind out any high spots is that correct?

That's right.

midnight motorsport
I think so!

That's right.

sorry should of put 'jay' at the end of my post!! :-)

so it was the one i saw on the rollers the other day, ?

if so, 'What a result' that thing was realy nice on power!!

such a nice spread across the rev range.

and it showed it on the road too,

jay

Sandy

Yes that's right. I was very pleased with it, especially since it wasn't a scratch build!

edbar

Does anyone make a decent inlet manifold that would work well with the cam? want to try new ideas (carbs are in the dark ages i know but for now they are staying)?

projectpug

A decently ported mangoletsi is about all you can get for webers i think.

Sounds like an awesome cam for an 8v though :)

midnight motorsport
Yes that's right. I was very pleased with it, especially since it wasn't a scratch build!

yeah thumbs up to you mate, making good of what you have got, is not as easy as a clean slate!! i know im now in this dark and gloomy area, of wrong bits/combo!! but now i have been pointed in the right direction, by the 'rite' people :-)

RS head hear i come!!! lol

jay

edbar

Do the jenvey manifolds allow the fitment of 45 dcoe's? The jenvey manifolds i have seen are very good and needed no work done at all.

benlilly
Do the jenvey manifolds allow the fitment of 45 dcoe's? The jenvey manifolds i have seen are very good and needed no work done at all.

Yes, but only for the 16v head. As far as I know they don't do a manifold for the 8v.

edbar

Could have sworn they used to advertise one on the site but just checked and only 16v? Doesnt colin satchell do good manifolds? IF so where do you buy them?

Sign in to follow this