• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kennyb

Oil Cooler

Kennyb

Hi guys

just wondering what size fitments on oil cooler (1.9 1989 205).........mines really knacked and p**sing oil out!!! would any other cars cooler fit for a bit while my other one lands??? gonna need it over hols and not sure if other will land in time

I have a ford breakers nearby anyone know some fitments and if it'll work??

Cheers

Cain

Kennyb

Last Day im gonna have to find one :-( anyone have any ideas?

Cheers happy xmas

SPGTi

Just take it off. Remove the sandwich plate and screw the filter directly to the block. If you are really worried about oil temp. don't go on track or drive like a loon until you get a replacement.

Steve

Kennyb

I Was gonna do that but i've got a 3 hour drive on boxing day :-( would it be ok?

Edited by Kennyb

welshpug

I wouldn't be particularly worried, its not as if the 1.6's were plagued with overheating problems now were they!

(1.6's didn't have an oil cooler if you didn't know)

Kennyb

Thats what I was thinking....2

How hard to remove the sandwich plate though? If I recall....can be a bitch?

Cheers

Edited by Kennyb

Ryan

It's dead easy. Take the filter off, then unscrew the little stub that the filter was screwed onto.

Tom Fenton

As others say, take off the oil cooler. It really is straightforward, remove the filter, undo the stub in the middle to release the sandwich plate, then screw a filter (either original or replacement) back onto the stub left sticking out of the block. If you don't want to manoeuver the cooler and pipework out from the car you could just put it in a plastic bag and wrap it all round with tape and stow it out of the way. Just take it steady on your drive and you will be fine.

philfingers

not sure on an 8v but on a 16v the sandwich bolt is M20 male to M20 male. So if you unscrew it you are left with. . .. . M20 female on the oil filter and M20 female in the block. I just fitted a proper mocal thermostatic sandwich plate and it needed a M20 male to M20 male adaptor, as their sandwich bolt is M20 male to M20 female.

Cameron

Weird, my 1.9 MI was a male stub in the block with a female to male sandwich bolt.

You won't have any problems with oil temperature, not at this time of year.

andyjstone

This might be a stupid question, but was the overheating bit for real? Reason I ask is that my 1.6 overheats on the track, I thought it was just the oil temp, but I think the water is overheating too, just the gauge doesn't show it, but the expansion tank spills out water everywhere.

So, is there really an issue with 1.6s overheating - if not then I have a problem I need to sort, if yes then what's the solution???

Kennyb

im guessing you can fit an 1.9 oil cooler straight onto a 1.6 block with ease (haven't done it but i guess its a straight fit)........as for water temp...think you have another problem that could be a few different things really.....

philfingers

was that fitted with an aftermarket cooler Cameron or just the std one?

andyjstone

OK, well it only overheats when driving the car hard on the motorway (not that I ever do that!) or track, during normal use it it fine, so I guess that rules out thermostat.

There aren't any leaks, fan works OK, so does that only leave the pump?

Kartman205
This might be a stupid question, but was the overheating bit for real? Reason I ask is that my 1.6 overheats on the track, I thought it was just the oil temp, but I think the water is overheating too, just the gauge doesn't show it, but the expansion tank spills out water everywhere.

So, is there really an issue with 1.6s overheating - if not then I have a problem I need to sort, if yes then what's the solution???

Sounds like the head gasket,our race car did the same,temp gauge read normal but it always blew water out of the expansion tank, I just thought it was finding its own level as it only needed a pint to top it up.

Whilst doing a between race plug check I spotted blue antifreeze on top of no.s 2+3 pistons. The gasket had slightly blown between the two, Head skim and new gasket and bolts, problem solved.

Rgds Paul

andyjstone

That might also explain why it runs really lumpy at low revs!

Sign in to follow this