• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dan Ingram

One Piston Is In The Wrong Way Round

Dan Ingram

I'm changing the headgasket and on removal of the head I've found that the No4 piston is in the other way round to all the others. Is this normal? If not is it ok like this? The engine seemed to run ok before the gasket went so its not fouling the valves or anything.

DSC01770.jpg

Thanks in advance

Dan

Edited by Dan Ingram

Goliath

Lol! No its not normal, they should all be the same way round. I thought because otherwise they foulf the valves but obviously not if yours is fine. Do you know any history on your engine? like when it was last rebuilt/ any work its had done?

Very odd

Dan Ingram

I know nothing about it at all, no service history or anything. Am I ok to leave it? really cant be arsed taking pistons out.

welshpug

I'd drop the sump off, take that cap off the crank, push it up turn it 180 and bolt it back on.

Miles

The piston's should all have 'Dist' on them and the arrow point towards the Cambelt end, The nick's which hold the bearing's should also be on the exhuast side but unless you drop the sump you won;t know.

pug_ham

In line with what Miles has said, is it that one is the wrong way round or three?

Graham.

Dan Ingram

If dist is supposed to point towards the cambelt end then its just one the wrong way around. And what are the nicks that hold the bearings that you talk about?

welshpug

in the conrod, there is a nick and a corresponding tab on the bearings.

pug_ham

Thats not to bad then if its just one that wrong & not the other three. :lol:

What are the nicks that hold the bearings that you talk about?

When you remove the sump & big end cap you will see a nick in the cap & conrod for the bearing location tab.

See attached images.

Graham.

post-71-1229800888.jpg

post-71-1229800905.jpg

Dan Ingram

Excellent thanks. How do I get the chain off the oil pump sprocket?

Dan Ingram

Scrap that, done it. Helps if you take the spacer plate off :lol:

pug_ham

Make sure you mark the cap for orientation on the rod or you might wonder why the crank doesn't turn when you tighten it back down.

Graham.

Alfie
I'd drop the sump off, take that cap off the crank, push it up turn it 180 and bolt it back on.

Amazing that it would run really. Not wanting to raise any alarm, but would there be any worries about the Rings if this were done? :blush:

Matteo

Every time a piston is removed from its sleeve, its piston rings should be renewed as they settled in a defined position. Otherwise lack of compression could occour. Piston rings should be renewed in each pistons at the same time.

I hope you can understand my words, and I apologise for my poor English.

CosKev
Amazing that it would run really. Not wanting to raise any alarm, but would there be any worries about the Rings if this were done? :blush:

In my experience the rings will stay in the same position,and JUST the piston will turn round,leaving the rings in there settled/bedded in position B)

CosKev
Every time a piston is removed from its sleeve, its piston rings should be renewed as they settled in a defined position. Otherwise lack of compression could occour. Piston rings should be renewed in each pistons at the same time.

I hope you can understand my words, and I apologise for my poor English.

Your correct,but the above reply was not talking about removing the piston from the liner/bore,just taking the rod off the crank and turning the rod and piston threw 180 degrees :blush:

Dan Ingram

The shells are on the wrong way around aswell but on the 3 other pistons they're fine. Bit of an odd one really.

pug_ham
The shells are on the wrong way around aswell but on the 3 other pistons they're fine. Bit of an odd one really.

How do you mean?

Graham.

Alfie
How do you mean?

Graham.

Beginning to think that the con=rod is ass about face as well, lol Is there aright and wrong way to fit 'em Graham?

Dan Ingram

The nicks are supposed to be on the exhaust side but as the piston was in the wrong way round that meant they were on the inlet side. So I turned the con rod and piston through 180deg and did the same with the shells and the big end cap.

Alfie
The nicks are supposed to be on the exhaust side but as the piston was in the wrong way round that meant they were on the inlet side. So I turned the con rod and piston through 180deg and did the same with the shells and the big end cap.

In my limited experience, that would appear to be all ok then.

Dan Ingram

Well it all went back together ok and I've timed it all up and everything seems to be moving freely. Fingers crossed there aren't any problems when I fire it up.

SeanO'Connor

Hmmm curious, I think you got a Friday engine there mate. Let us know how she goes, although I find it quite amusing.

mattbenselin

How did it go with rotating a piston? I'm in half minds whether to do this too, though I have all four to do...see recent topic.

Dan Ingram

I don't know mate. I sold the engine to Gti-si. I don't know if he fitted it in his car or not.

Sign in to follow this