• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
McDude

Wandering

McDude

My Pug has developed what can only be described as a wandering problem - it suppose could be described as like it's tramlining. On Motorways it is most noticable, but not exclusive to this.

Driving at say 70 under constant throttle, the car will tug slightly one way, requiring a small correction. it will then pull slightly the other way, again requiring correction. It is a very unnerving feeling and definitley not right.

The problem is exacerbated by the throttle - ie lifting off and applying throttle makes it pull left/right more.

I'm thinking that a bush has gone or perhaps a balljoint - there is no clonking though to point directly to which one.

Any ideas where to look first? Tests to determine fault? :rolleyes:

Top mounts and shocks are all less than 6000 miles old and there doesn't seem to be any play in the rack. Tracking was done at the same time and tyres are all new.

Thanks.

McDude

Tom Fenton

Wishbone bushes, wishbone ball joints, ovalled hubs, knackered TRE's, rear beam play in trailing arms, check in that order in my experience.

What you've described sounds like classic wishbone bushes but could be any of the above.

notamondayfan

id second that, wishbone bushes.

best way to check is to jack up one front corner so the tyre isnt in contact with the ground. then grab the tyre at the top and bottom and try to wobble it back and forth. if theres movement then its probably knackered.

McDude

I'll look into the wishbone bushes first - a crap job in this weather. Should i expect a clonk if one is gone? I went looking for bumps and potholes to try and make it clonk but it sounds tight all round. Just interior creaks!

I take one thing back though - I've been out for a drive in it since the first post and wonder (though it could easily be in my head) if there is play in the rack. You can sit still and move the wheel a good bit left/right before if sticks. Is this normal? About 10 degrees of movement off centre either way.

Tom Fenton

Bushes can be worn enough to cause wandering without clonking.

Toddy

Has the wandering only happened recently, If so check that the rack is secure as this could be causing the vagueness

1 FAT PUG

mine does the exact same thing, only started since i put pattern bottom arm on as the original had play in it, so going to get one from scrappers tomorrow, typical i got one on a subframe but the bolts siezed in :rolleyes:

McDude

Wishbone bush as you'd all predicted!

TREs are a bit worn too - nothing major, but have a little bit of movement. Will get round to changing the4m in the new year.

Thanks dudes.

Sign in to follow this