• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yorkshirekowboy

Over Packing Bearings

yorkshirekowboy

right hello all,

been doing my bearings in my beam, and have to say i have inserted alot of grease in the bearings and on the race of them, also greased the new shafts and alos the tube inner itself.

so my question is how can you over grease bearings? surly the grease would work its way out if to much is inserted, i even had a look on google for this question. maybe a silly question but needing to know before i put beam on the car. if i have i will take the arms out and get a cloth a push it all out of beam tube.

thanks

dan

Roman
right hello all,

been doing my bearings in my beam, and have to say i have inserted alot of grease in the bearings and on the race of them, also greased the new shafts and alos the tube inner itself.

so my question is how can you over grease bearings? surly the grease would work its way out if to much is inserted, i even had a look on google for this question. maybe a silly question but needing to know before i put beam on the car. if i have i will take the arms out and get a cloth a push it all out of beam tube.

thanks

dan

more grease better... when i refurb my rear beam i fillup ful with graphite grease its superb(no skweeky-creeky) :D

yorkshirekowboy
more grease better... when i refurb my rear beam i fillup ful with graphite grease its superb(no skweeky-creeky) :D

ace, well i didnt use graphite grease on mine as im using a basic multipurpose grease for bearings, so used that, also rebuilt my rear bearing hubs on my 1.9 axle and packed the bearings with lots of grease again.

HERMAN

I have fitted grease nipples to my tube so that I can give them an extra shot every now and then.

johny105_y2k

afaik you cant overgrease bearings lol.

even in the oil filled hubs at work i grease them (not as much but it cant hurt)

Herman! was going to start a thread for this but what thread are the niple's you used?

johny

B1ack_Mi16

I think wheel bearings can be over filled.

Not that it will harm the bearing itself, but if it's too much grease in them they will give more rolling resistance and worse fuel consumption.

Rom

Think M6 / M8 is a common size. Lots of people on here have done it. Ill do it on my next beam build.

Have a search , as i found a thread the other day, with a link to a nice site which supplies stainless nipples etc, aswell as saying where about people fit them etc.

was going to start a thread for this but what thread are the niple's you used?

Sign in to follow this