• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
EdCherry

Running Rich

EdCherry

Ok, well I got my second GTi now, first one ive driven though!

Smells like shes running rich apparntly and the idle is a bit all over the place, was going to go about adjusting the AFM and Idle Mixture, anyone got any pictures/tips/advice on this?

Thanks very much, Ed.

DamirGTI

For proper AFM adjusting (spring tension) you'll ideally need rolling road session , although it can be done on a DIY basis but it's a little bit tricky and i wouldn't recommend this option if you're unsure how to do that ..

But you can try to adjust the idle mixture , turn the allen screw on the AFM body fully inside and then unscrew it 7 turns out and stop there (it'll be rough position , but close enough to the right settings ..)

Do a search on this subject :blush:

Damir :blush:

EdCherry

Damir to the rescue! Thanks very much, will see if I can get it to idle nicely :blush:

philfingers

might be worth testing the ECT is ok. Engine coolant temp sensor. It's the blue one below the dizzy. If it's on the way out would cause the car to run rich

Phil

EdCherry

Thanks for that Phil, how would I about doing it?

Miles

DVM (on resistance) and hot water, Make sure you have adult supervision with the water thou

Mikey S
Ok, well I got my second GTi now, first one ive driven though!

Smells like shes running rich apparntly and the idle is a bit all over the place, was going to go about adjusting the AFM and Idle Mixture, anyone got any pictures/tips/advice on this?

Thanks very much, Ed.

removing the throttle body and afm and giving them a good clean out with carb cleaner will make it idle much smoother. all the oil vapour goes through the throttle body so they can get clogged up with alot of s*ite causing all sorts of running issues.

a setup on a gas analyser after doing this will make it run alot better.

EdCherry

Lets see how quickly I break this engine then!

philfingers

here you go, the specs for the ECT from Autodata

ECT.pdf

SeanO'Connor

Think mine is running a bit rich(1.6) going to get it on a dyno, as it just feels slow, when you put your foot down. Yes I have replaced alll the ignition components etc . It goes better when it is cold, than warm, I was wondering if the ignition timing maybe out, but we will soon see.

Sign in to follow this