• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shalmaneser

Quick Cambelt Question

shalmaneser

about to do my cambelt, when i did it in the 306 i locked the flywheel by using the timing hole - I know that's not how your supposed to do it, but is that method OK on the 205?

The 306 was bastard tight and i had to put a hell of a lot of torque through it and don't want to crack anything - how do people lock the flywheel? The book of lies reckons that i need to 'fabricate a tool' but i can't be arsed with that. Was thinking of just jaming a big screwdriver up against the flywheel - wise or not?

also any general advice appreciated!!!

Cheers boys.

Mikey S
about to do my cambelt, when i did it in the 306 i locked the flywheel by using the timing hole - I know that's not how your supposed to do it, but is that method OK on the 205?

The 306 was bastard tight and i had to put a hell of a lot of torque through it and don't want to crack anything - how do people lock the flywheel? The book of lies reckons that i need to 'fabricate a tool' but i can't be arsed with that. Was thinking of just jaming a big screwdriver up against the flywheel - wise or not?

also any general advice appreciated!!!

Cheers boys.

i presume to lock the crankshaft while the crank pulley bolt is undone? the xu petrols dont have a timing hole in the block. its done between two pieces of cast on the oil pump and a bolt hole through the crank pulley. if you try to lock the crank to undo the nut it will shear straight off.

i put the car on the ground, in first gear with handbrake on then use a f***ing big bar to undo it. if you cant get it undone, pop down your local garage and ask them to break it with an airgun then nip it back up.

jord294

there are 3 ways

1st, you could buy the tool off ebay, £7? peugeot flywheel locking tool

2nd, you could put a 10mm dowel in, to lock cam pulley and one to lock bottom pulley

3rd, air gun should undo bottom pulley bolt easy enough

my preference is 3, 1 and 2 as a last resort

Edited by jord294

grandos

The old screwdriver in the flywheel trick, its tried and tested, usually helps to have a mate hold it there while you undo the bolt though.B)

Tom Fenton

I use my windy gun. However in past days I have done it as follows- Get a breaker bar with correct socket on, fit to crank pulley bolt, move bar down so it is reacting against floor, disconnect coil so engine will not fire, then crank it briefly on starter.

CosKev
2nd, you could put a 10mm dowel in, to lock cam pulley and one to lock bottom pulley

LOL,you saw the rear cover on my old engine you had off me!!!!!!!Thats what happened tightening the pulley bolt :)

Live and learn :(

mr_exe

I bought the Draper flywheel holding tool and was a waste of money as I could'nt get it tight enough to stop it moving when I tried to undo the crank pulley, so it was the big bar and first gear method for me

shalmaneser

Hmmm, thanks for the advice...don't have a windy gun so it might be down the local garage with a six pack...

Sign in to follow this