• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rex

206 Gti 180 Rear Subframe Reinforcement Bars

rex

Hi all,

I'm currently in a muddle, if the title itself isn't confusing enough...

I just replaced a 206 SW rear subframe (same as a 180 bar the drums) for a customer, and seeing the different set-up on the back, I thought it would be a good idea to add this to my 205, (which has a 309 GTi rear subframe).

I measured the arms and the stubs etc, and everything looked too good to be true for a quick swap-over, until I realized the plate which holds the calipers located behind the hub is completely different. I can order these parts for the 206 GTi 180 for about 90€ for the pair, but since these are non-returnable parts, I'd like to be sure that the 1.9 calipers will be in the right place before blowing anymore hard-earned beer-tokens. (The discs are apparently the same diameter on both applications)

Anybody out there with advice?

Regards to all,

Rex

France

Edited by rex

RossD

The only difference regarding the calipers is the piston size, they are slightly larger than the 205 items, but should bolt straight on. I've often thought about this method of bracing on the 205, I've just been waiting for a suitable 206 to come into my local breakers! Let us know how it all goes.

rex

"Should" bolt straight on? :)

Bollocks, it looks like I'll be buying blind again ;)

I shall keep you informed mate - I just can't see why Peugeot would justify changing the fabrication method, when the arm is all but identical unless there is a difference in the position of the disc and caliper.

One thing that is for certain is that the rear wheels will sit slightly further out, but with no adverse effect on the bearings as the flange is longer on the 206 arms. As it's sitting fat already with the 309 GTi axle, I hoping this isn't going to look wierd.

Cheers, Rex

rex

Well, once again I wished I'd not had the bright idea of doing this.

The arms are built up with my new caliper supports - but the fuel tank is in the way where the clamp should sit round the cente beam and torsion bars :) can't believe I didn't see that coming...

Heh, who's using different fuel tanks, where and how much? :lol:

Damn it, the bloody thing was ready to go!

Rex

RossD

DOH! Now you say that I can visualise it too - I also didn't think of it being a problem. The good news is it sounds like it would fit if it were not for the fuel tank.....

Also, I've had a look at the rear end of a 206SW which also had this setup and the exhaust is routed differently - I wonder if you need to do this on the 205 too?

Edited by RossD

Henry Yorke

Any pics?

rex

Will post some pics tommorow.

Yeah, definitely a doh moment - especially as we'e supposed to be a pro's :P Heh, at least I don't market myself as a guru in modifying whatsoever :D Servicing and sales make money, not these headaches.....unless you've got real talent....

I've found some cheap fuel tanks at Combrake, but not really the size I wanted - all good ideas to steal will be as welcome as ever as I've driven a race 205 with this mod and it seems the next best thing to triangulated rear-end so it's going on there!

Cheers all,

Rex

rex

Here we go...

post-8637-1230020757_thumb.jpg

post-8637-1230020789_thumb.jpg

rex

Trailing am off a 206 SW with drum brakes - the stubs knock out to ad the hubs for the discs, but the caliper monting plate will need to come from a GTi 180 or a 206 HDi with rear discs...

post-8637-1230020965_thumb.jpg

Edited by rex

welshpug

I think the other problem you've missed is that the 206's torsion bars are above and below the crossmember tube, on the 205, 309 306 zx and xsara, they are fore and aft, so the bracket shown above wont fit.

rex

More....

And more...

And even more...

post-8637-1230021268_thumb.jpg

post-8637-1230021320_thumb.jpg

post-8637-1230021374_thumb.jpg

rex

PS looks like my homemade exhaust might do the job without a tweak - but I won't speak too soon.... :)

rex

"so the bracket shown above wont fit."

I can't see a problem making one to fit...

Heh, though I'm getting that one step forwards feeling and wishing I'd left well alone again :)

Rich_p

Once you have worked out the details Will you be offering a drive in - drive out service? :D

If so I fancy a road trip coming on :)

rex

You got me worried for a minute Welshpug, but I'm using the 206 arms - as you can see from this photo, the bracket will fit, only my torsion bars will be over and under like on the 206. That said, I'm now left wondering if they'll clear the fuel tank in the new position.... :)

Top photo is the subframe as it was on the 206 SW. Below left is the 206 arm and right is the GTi arm. If the space between the central beam and the tank is ample, we're laughing.

I'll keep y'all informed.

Cheers, Rex

post-8637-1230028018_thumb.jpg

post-8637-1230028038_thumb.jpg

Edited by rex

rex

Rich.....with pleasure mate. Beam refurb at the same time :)

RossD

Great Stuff :)

tom_m

what are the benefits of the 206 gubbins?

Anthony
You got me worried for a minute Welshpug, but I'm using the 206 arms - as you can see from this photo, the bracket will fit, only my torsion bars will be over and under like on the 206.

How is that going to work, as that's going to involve twisting the torsion bar massively to get that to work at a sensible ride height, particularly if you're running stiffer torsion bars? You might be using 206 arms to move the torsion bar mounting point at the arm end, but the beam end will still be in the horizontal position thus requiring a 90 degree odd twist in the torsion bar.

You'd be much better off redesigning the beamtube bracket to allow it to be mounted horizontally and retaining 205/309/306 arms in my opinion.

rex

Thanks for the replies...food for thought.

The main, well, the only reason I want to use the 206 arms is that they obviously have the mounting plates on the trailing arms....

de Noir

I thought of this 206SW/RC clamp thing too... But only as a mean of TB stiffening, by coupling them in the middle and virtually make TBs 'shorter'.

This is huge step beyond, corious how it will turn out. Will keep eye on your effort! :rolleyes:

benlilly
what are the benefits of the 206 gubbins?

Not certain, but I think it helps reduce toe out when cornering hard.

Henry Yorke

Will 206 arms fit on a 205 beam then? If so, then loads of questions!!

Are they the same pivotal length?

Are they the same track width?

What is the toe in?

What is the camber?

Are the torsion bar splines the same?

Is the hole in the arms for the torsion bar deep enough for 205 bars?

Will the 205 anti roll bar fit with the 206 end plates?

etc. etc!!

I don't imagine it makes any difference as to how the torsion bars are mounted around the beam tube, as long as the oppose each other.

Great to see someone investigating something new :D

felix2566

REx, did anyhting come of this in the end? Or was it too much hassle?

TT205

I was wondering the same :blush: