• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Saveit

Strange Gearbox Problem After Enginereplacement?

Saveit

Hi there,

I have a problem with my gearbox after replacing the engine in my 205 1.9 gti. Whilst the car is cold, i have no problem shifting to either of the gears including reverse. But when I have driven for a bit using all the gears the reverse doesnt work properly. I can shift in to reserve but it really shaves the teeths, so I have to quickly force it in to gear to avoid doing to much damage to the gears. And after I have used reverse, I can hardly shift in to 1 or 2. Sometimes i have to start in 2 gear because i cant shift in to 1. If i leave the car for some hours until everything is somewhat cold again, everything works as it should - until i have driven for a bit and used reverse.

Any ideas as to what i going on?

Thank you

Edited by Saveit

nick

That sounds more like the clutch is dragging when warm (everything expands slightly and causes drag) I would put a new clutch in.

Nick

welshpug

check the clutch cable adjustment and the bolt on the linkage to the release arm if its a BE1

Spiky

clutch cable,

mine came loose once and i lost 4 gears...lol

got home, tightened up the nuts all sorted :)

Saveit

Ahhh okay. So it could be because of the clutch? Because my clutch is actually not very good. I have to pres the pedal all the way to the bottom to get the clutch to let go. But if i adjust the clutch cable anymore, the pedal will sit to high. I almost have to lift my leg in order to step on it if i do so. And the clutch is also very hard. Could it be the clutch cable? Before i replaced the engine i had no problem with either the clutch nor the gears.

Spiky

just tighten it up then dude, will be much better :)

EDIT to add ,also check the route your cable is taking, if it was fine before it might be at a funny angle or catching somewhere :blush:

Sign in to follow this