• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RonnieG

Rear Drum Brake Cylinder - Which Type?

RonnieG

One of the jobs I promised myself I would do over the winter is replace the wheel/brake cylinders in the rear drum brakes of my 205 which is a phase 1.5 1990 1.6 Gti.

The front calipers are Bendix but of what I've read elsewhere there's no guarantee the rears will be Bendix too.

I'd like to buy the cylinders before starting the job if I can so is there an easy way to tell without removing the cylinder which type of rear brakes I've got ?

In case anyone can recognise them the style of brake shoes in my 205 are identical to the ones sold in this Ebay item last weekend - 110318595295.

Edited by RonnieG

welshpug

Should be Girling if its a gti.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...98138&st=10

It'll definately be a Girling cylinder you need, Bendix have an M12 union in the back of them & the compensator is built in so make sure you get the right one.

Also its very likely that your brake pipe is going to twist up when you undo the union so to avoid needing a new brake pipe if you undo the union very slightly & remove the two 10mm M6 bolts holding the cylinder to the backplate once the hub is off & brakes dismantled you can turn the cylinder instead of ruining the pipe.

AFAIK they are under £10 each from any motor factors.

Graham.

Miles

Will be Girling, Although the shoes are normally Bendix ones.

I do have a spare set if any use

pug_ham

Easiest way imo is to check the size of the union into the wheel cylinder on the brake plate, if its 10mm you have Girlings where if its 13mm they are Bendix.

Never seen a 1.6 GTi with the correct beam fitted with anything other than 10mm unions or Girling brakes.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this