• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tagy

Driveshaft

tagy

I am trying to fix a knocking noise on my 205 gti6, it knocks going over bumps at slow speed and coming off speed bumps. Once up to speed it does not seem to do it.

I have noticed some play in the the o/s driveshaft as shown in this picture:

drivequ3.th.jpg

The marked part has some play in it and I can make a knocking sound by moving it with my hand. Just like to know how much movement is considered a problem? or is any movement in that direction a problem?

GTI6BOY

If you pull hard enough then it will come apart as the boots are the only thing holding it together

If it knocks when you pull it out then back in then thats ok but If you can make it knock by moving the knuckles around then i would say you need a new one.

Edited by GTI6BOY

M_R_205

id guess thatthe knocking your getting is either off the top mounts or the drop links, the shafts only tend to knock when turning...

tagy

Thanks for the replies, I checked the shock absorber nut in the middle of the top mount and it was completely loose! I could turn it with my hand :D:) maybe the previous owner was not sure how to adjust the shock (its an avo adjustable).

Tightened it up and the knocking has gone :lol: I should of checked this earlier, like it when things turn out to be something so simple.

Sign in to follow this