• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Headling

Damp Interior, Any Ideas To Help?

Headling

Hi Guys, havent been on here for a while, been enjoying my turbo 205 now its running well.

My car is a stripped out track car, its parked by the side of my house so doesn't get much sun and its getting alot of condensation in side, it was so bad the other day that i had drips running off the roof ( no lining ).

I was thinking of getting some of that silica gel stuff you get in suit cases etc to dry it out?

Any other ideas??

mattbenselin

If there is that much moisture getting into the car could you have a broken window seal somewhere? The 3/4 window seals are notorious.

Just a thought.

jimistdt
Hi Guys, havent been on here for a while, been enjoying my turbo 205 now its running well.

My car is a stripped out track car, its parked by the side of my house so doesn't get much sun and its getting alot of condensation in side, it was so bad the other day that i had drips running off the roof ( no lining ).

I was thinking of getting some of that silica gel stuff you get in suit cases etc to dry it out?

Any other ideas??

Have a look in the boot sides, chances are they're full of water, apparantly in comes in through the window seals or behind the infill badges. Someone also pointed out recently that the sills themselves become full of water, though I don't know if this will contribute to the codensation problem, however if it does, there are drain plugs near the jacking-point that you can empty by prodding your finger in.

DanteICE

Silica gel bags, can be a fortune to buy!

Get a catering bag salt and get a tray (preferably baking tray, big as poss) and make a layer of salt in the tray, doesn't really need to be thick, just spread out to get a wide surface area. Place the tray with salt, in your car over night, you will feel the salt get thicker, with the water it is absorbing, it will be much less dusty and more like thick sand. Basically it will absorb the moisture in the air and in turn absorb any patches of water in the car, that way you can get the inside of the car dry, and if it still gets wet you know you have a leak. Sounds like you do though, even so the salt will get the water out of the car.

Great way of keep a car dry while its stood for a while.

Geoff

Headling

Thanks so much for the help guys, I got the silicone gun out this morning and sealed up some holes etc,

I have checked the drain holes under the sill and they are clear

the 3/4 window seals look a bit rubbish, where is best to buys some new ones?? are these expensive??

Great tip with the salt! I will give that a try too!! :huh:

timb1046

you could always put a de-humidifier (spelling) in the car for a few hours, the seats will hold some moisture if its been that damp inside.

Tom Fenton

Salt does work well. When it has been in there a bit take it out pop it in the oven for 1/2 hr to dry it out then put it back in to absorb more moisture.

DanteICE
Salt does work well. When it has been in there a bit take it out pop it in the oven for 1/2 hr to dry it out then put it back in to absorb more moisture.

LOL

I am liking the 're-use' of salt!!! :)

You could have bake it and use it on your chips!

Geoff

kala

I just replaced the 3/4 seals on both sides and from Peugeot they cost about £52 a side.

Not sure if you can get them from anywhere else but was easiest option for me!

Definitely worth spending the money and getting it done!

Batfink

Autofive maybe?

welshpug

they list them, but no cheaper than going direct.

MerlinGTI

my 1/4 glass rubbers have been leaking a bit of late, resulting in damp rear foot wells. Today I sorted the rubbers, then took out the rear seat bases, flipped the carpet up a bit, binned the knackered foam/sound deadening, and....

Put the car in a paint booth (oven) on a 65c bake for 25 mins with the doors and boot open :D All dry now :D

Rom

Show off :D

I never thought my seals leaked, oter than when i jetwashed it, but on a few drops. But after stripping my interior, finding all footwells soakign im not sure now.

My windscreen is def leakign both corners into front. Maybe its just that.

When the quaters leak, wouldnt the panels below be wet ? Or atleast behind them. Theres no real sign, other than wet footwells. Reluctant to shell out £100 unless im sure tbh.

MerlinGTI
Show off :D

I never thought my seals leaked, oter than when i jetwashed it, but on a few drops. But after stripping my interior, finding all footwells soakign im not sure now.

My windscreen is def leakign both corners into front. Maybe its just that.

When the quaters leak, wouldnt the panels below be wet ? Or atleast behind them. Theres no real sign, other than wet footwells. Reluctant to shell out £100 unless im sure tbh.

LOL :D guilty :D

Im mistified why (or even how) the 1/4 rubbers can cause a leak in the rear foot wells (that sounds kinda stupid but you get me?), but its since wee'ed it down and its all still dry. Seems to be a common (and strange) problem :D

might be worth trying the clean/streach/dum dum inside the rubber where the frame goes in method first? seems to have worked for me :)

Sign in to follow this