• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Widget

Good Head Experiences

Widget

Hi there

OK I've searched the forums, done my home work and know what catcam I want and what head work I want doing to the head from a 1360 XS. The question I haven't answered with confidence yet is who I should (en)trust this work to?

I've short listed three firms but would appreciate anyones advice or experiences of these three :

QEP

Shenpar

Sabreheads

...or maybe there's someone else I should be considering on your recommendation?

I should add that my research led me to discount the following firms:

GMC - poor general feedback on this forum

Pumaracing - gone fishing. His website says he's taking a well earned sabatical

Any advice on the shortlist is much appreciated.

Widget

welshpug

for a TU the only person I know of who's produced good results of late is Sandy Brown.

never personally head of Sabre heads.

Toddy
for a TU the only person I know of who's produced good results of late is Sandy Brown.

never personally head of Sabre heads.

Sabreheads is Kiwi Rog who use to work for lotus, has an excellent reputation within elise/caterham/K series community.

I have used QEP, good reputation and didn't Matt Sav's brother charlie have a few TU enginesd 106's?

Peetypug

as your in manchester i'd recommend who i used for my xs Mikeanics in congleton. He did a stage 1 head and cam for me (it had a full stainless and airfilter as well) It was pushing 99bhp at the wheels. He learnt his trade at skip brown then set out himself. He's a nice bloke that will try to sort anything you want

Edited by sorrentopete

RossD

You do realise that the head on the 106 1.4 XSi, 1.6 Rallye and 1.3 Rallye are so much better out of the box that the TU3S head, bigger valves, ports etc? Obviously, the TU3S manifold wont fit and you may have to be creative to get the compression back up, but it's worth bearing in mind.

hexhamstu

i heard drsarty has some good head experiences, something about a supermarket carpark.........

205Rallee

Richard Longman Racing :lol:

Widget

Thanks for all your replies

Serrentopete I'd heard good things about Mikeancs but only as a tuner...he's on the list

205Rallee - Richard Longman - Yep you're bang on the money, on he goes. My short list is officially now just a 'list' :lol:

Is Sandy Brown the same 'Sandy' who contributes to this forum? A google search didn't give me much in the way of websites or contact details. :P

Glad to hear no ones said there's a bad egg in my 'list', I guess I'll give them all a ring after Christmas and see which on feels right for me.

thanks for your help

Widget

danpug

Yep the same sandy as on here. Speak to him before spending silly money at longmans, theres loads of threads here and on other forums showing his capabilities and all for realistic money.

Sandy

Virtually all my headwork is done by Mark Shillaber (SRD).

christopher

I think QEP have done quite a few of those XS heads if it is really an xs head you want to spend all your money on!!

I guess it really depends on how much you want to spend and how much you are willing to take a risk.

You might also want to contact Guy Croft. (He used to be an engineer for a formula 1 team)

But bear in mind he really only does racing cylinder head development.

Here is an article that might be of interest http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1360.

He discusses 106 1.6 XSI vs 205 Rallye TU head flow development.

In the end you can give him a call to discuss you individual requirements.

TT205

According to the thread he is still waiting for Ross's header lengths

205Rallee
Yep the same sandy as on here. Speak to him before spending silly money at longmans, theres loads of threads here and on other forums showing his capabilities and all for realistic money.

Generally you pay for what you get. PM me and I'll give you the deatils of the contact at Longman's who did my head, an awesome job for a lot less than silly money. I'm sure there are loads of people out there with a dremel who can get 150bhp at the wheels out of a 1360 B)

danpug

Yep you do pay for what you get but some people charge far too much for headwork alot of them have no idea it seems (and i don't mean longmans with that statement!).

205Rallee
Yep you do pay for what you get but some people charge far too much for headwork alot of them have no idea it seems (and i don't mean longmans with that statement!).

You are right, like the "tuners" who offer special French camshafts which turn ot to be standard Peugeot cams :mellow: Can't mention any names for fear of legal action!

Widget
Generally you pay for what you get. PM me and I'll give you the deatils of the contact at Longman's who did my head, an awesome job for a lot less than silly money. I'm sure there are loads of people out there with a dremel who can get 150bhp at the wheels out of a 1360 :)

Thanks for the kind intro 205Rallee, I'll PM you in next few days when I'm next at my pc.

Christopher, I read the guy croft link - amazing work. I properly understood about 20% of it, grasped at another 20% and just enjoyed reading the rest. Hopefully the dark feeling of knowing I will never ever know this much about engine 'stuff' is good for the soul. I'll ring Guy after Xmas although I think my requirements are a little too low brow to warrant his time.

Thanks again guys

Widget

RossD
According to the thread he is still waiting for Ross's header lengths

Indeed he is... I've forogtten to get back to that thread! I've found that the torque 'hole' I had was down to crappy mapping, I've managed to improve it a lot now.

I'll try and reply to that thread this weekend :)

Rippthrough

I'd agree that the XS head isn't the place to start if you can help it - I've been there, done it, and wished I'd used a better head with bigger valves to start with - don't get me wrong, it made a lot of difference, but I know there's more to come if I'd have used the better heads as a base, so to get full potential out of it later on I'm going to have to do it again.

But, I was on a budget and doing the porting myself, and it wasn't an option, whereas if your paying for your head I'd imagine you can spare a couple of quid to start with the better head?

Edited by Rippthrough

Widget
Generally you pay for what you get. PM me and I'll give you the deatils of the contact at Longman's who did my head, an awesome job for a lot less than silly money. I'm sure there are loads of people out there with a dremel who can get 150bhp at the wheels out of a 1360 :mellow:

Hello, Just wanted to apologise for not PM'ing 205Rallee like I said I would. I've either been internet-less or just not at home to use it since last post back in Dec 10! :D Hectic New Year!

Since getting all your feedback I have however spoken to Mikeanics and decided to place my business his way. Partly because they seem v friendly, partly well regarded and parly because he's local to 'Man-chust-er' so I can pop down and discuss things in person. I'll let you know how it goes and the results from the rolling road.

Widget

Mark205

It seems like you have sorted the head now but i know of MHT Motorsports in congleton, one of his 1.9 heads are on ebay now, they look pretty good.

I am going to let him do one of my spare heads, see what he's like.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peugeot-205-GTI-1-9-...A1%7C240%3A1318

Edited by Mark205