• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lfallgti

1.6 Electrics

lfallgti

hi all,

have just bought a black 1.6 which has an electrical problem, the guy i bought it off said that when he turned the ignition on the fusebox started smoking and burnt a wire out, he replaced the fusebox but the same thing hapened, now, i am clueless when it comes to electrical stuff so any info/suggestions on why this would happen would be very helpful, the battery is disconnected but i have been assured that the lights all work as normal still, i havent had a chance to look at the problem properly yet so cant really say too much more at the mo. help :ph34r:

flipperthebushkangaroo
hi all,

have just bought a black 1.6 which has an electrical problem, the guy i bought it off said that when he turned the ignition on the fusebox started smoking and burnt a wire out, he replaced the fusebox but the same thing hapened, now, i am clueless when it comes to electrical stuff so any info/suggestions on why this would happen would be very helpful, the battery is disconnected but i have been assured that the lights all work as normal still, i havent had a chance to look at the problem properly yet so cant really say too much more at the mo. help :ph34r:

What was the wire that burnt out when ignition was turned on?

was it the same wire that burnt out both times?

if the cable is a supply remove all fuses from systems that have failed and check as per the burnt out cable below

if it was it is, most likley a short to earth on that cable (although the fuse should have gone).

if you can identify the cable pull the fuse that powers it and try putting ignition on again.

if all is well you at least have isolated the fault to one system.

However while trying this have a helper to give you a hand watching for more faults and if you have one a fire extinguisher to hand as well.

As for as the cable thats burnt out find where it goes disconect both ends and con check to earth to see if there is a short to earth on that line. if not check the equipment connected to it for damage or failure (a seized motor can draw high current).

Hope this is of some help to you

Roddie

steve@cornwall

By the time the wiring has burned at least twice I think you may well be looking at other wiring close by suffering from melted insulation and causing further problems and possibly a dash fire. I'd recommend removing the dash for a visual inspection first. Trying to trace a shorted wire by watching where the smoke came from lead to a complete dash rewire not so long ago - only takes a coupe of seconds to destroy a loom.

flipperthebushkangaroo
By the time the wiring has burned at least twice I think you may well be looking at other wiring close by suffering from melted insulation and causing further problems and possibly a dash fire. I'd recommend removing the dash for a visual inspection first. Trying to trace a shorted wire by watching where the smoke came from lead to a complete dash rewire not so long ago - only takes a coupe of seconds to destroy a loom.

yes i agree compleatly, i did not meen for smoke to be a fault finding tool i forgot to mention a good visual of the area. was just trying to underline the need for care when reapplying power.

cheers steve for putting me straight :ph34r:

steve@cornwall
yes i agree compleatly, i did not meen for smoke to be a fault finding tool i forgot to mention a good visual of the area. was just trying to underline the need for care when reapplying power.

cheers steve for putting me straight :ph34r:

Not at all! Nothing wrong with what you posted :) It was me who used smoke as a fault finder (need a tw"t :gif) Mine was just some additional ideas to warn against being a plank like I was :D

lfallgti

thanks guys, will try to have a more in depth look tomorrow, i am led to believe that the wire which causes the problems has burnt the fuse board out twice now, and yes it was the same wire, but i am not sure where it feeds from. how big of a job is it to strip the dash?. i'll try to have a good look tomorrow and post my findings from then, thanks

Sign in to follow this