• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tonycj

405 Leather Seats, Do They Have A Thermostat?

tonycj

Ive fitted 405 leather seats into my 205, with the weather getting cold the seats are a nightmare in the morning! i'm sure its not doing my piles any good!!!

Im keen to fit a relay and wiring to get the heated pads in the seats working.

What i would like to know is:-

Is there a thermostat fitted into the seats?

If there is a thermostat would i be OK with a standard relay?

What type of relay should i get?

Can one relay power both seats?

Do i need to have an in-line fuse?

I look forward to your replies so i can get cracking ASAP.

Tony.

Ryan

There is a thermostat in the seat. It's just a 1p-sized temperature switch hidden in the bottom cushion somewhere (you might be able to feel it through the covers). If you hook the seat up to 12v and earth then they should heat up and the thermostat will take care of making sure they don't overheat.

The seats need a couple of amps each, so it's probably best to use a relay. Any normal 12V relay would do.

Miles

I doubt the heater part will work, most packed up within a couple of news from new, My old 405 lasted around 18 months before the seats stopped working, You can buy the parts I think but is a ball ache to change

KRISKARRERA

I always thought they didn't have a thermostat? Hence them burning out and stopping working.

Ryan

There's a thermoswitch on servicebox.

They probably stop working because they heating wire breaks - a problem with a lot of heated seats is that they use very thin wire to keep the power requirements down.

DrSarty

Or Anusol.

Sorry. Just wanted to type 'anus'. :lol:

On the other hand, if you're serious about this and are going to fiddle with the 405 seats (i.e. covers off), many Volvos have outstanding arse heating systems and you could blag some from a breaker's for next to nothing. And I would use a relay too; one for the pair will be fine.

Edited by DrSarty

chris-stdt

Sounds like a plan the heated seats in my 406 have never worked :lol: ,looks like il be looking for a scrap volvo

KRISKARRERA

The stitching on my drivers seat has split! So now I'm gonna have to take the cover off to restitch. Might have a look and see if I can fix the heated seat thingy. Might make my piles go.

mr_exe

It might easier to sort your piles rather than the seat. I had a new 406 exec many moons ago and the heated seats worked ok, but it just left me wishing the leather steering wheel was heated as well.

Edited by mr_exe

Sign in to follow this