• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maxi

ECU Mounting Location

maxi

Poor 205 :lol:

I hope you use a funnel when you fill your expansion bottle up, slght spill of coolant and your ECU will get soaked.

Maxi

Spiky
looks a bit RS turbo bonnet lifter at the back, so could get away with saying it aids cooling, lol! dont like the look of it from the front tho! :(

i dont like it either :D and thats how i left it, it wont stay like it either, "something" will be done to sort the issue

nooks naff with the bonnet not fitted properly :ph34r:

why do you want to run it so low? set the back to match the height at the front and it'll be on the bumpstops!

the back height is fine, the front isn't as low as i used to run it, see above for bonnet

Poor 205 ^_^

I hope you use a funnel when you fill your expansion bottle up, slght spill of coolant and your ECU will get soaked.

Maxi

your right any water there will kill my ECU :lol: pmsl at that, do you think it stays dry under there?

NOPE ;)

the ecu has been sat about 3inchs from there for the last 18mths, never had an issue

and how many times do you fill you ex tank up? .... mine is once, obvioulsy you do it more..lol

taylorspug
your right any water there will kill my ECU :blink: pmsl at that, do you think it stays dry under there?

NOPE :lol:

the ecu has been sat about 3inchs from there for the last 18mths, never had an issue

and how many times do you fill you ex tank up? .... mine is once, obvioulsy you do it more..lol

Id say he was making a perfectly valid point tbh, water around there will get in the ECU plug and double relay, and the car wont start. Instead of taking on board the advice of someone far more experienced with 205s than yourself, you have made a silly comment. Well done, have a cracker.

And as for the filling the expansion tank comment, dont make me laugh mate, get about 5 years more experience under your belt before you start looking down on people who have been playing with 205s for years.

welshpug

now I wonder why the 306 has the ecu in a nice box? :blink:

Spiky

pmsl, taylor, funny guy.

you think this is the first car i have had?

the ecu is staying put...

thanks for the cracker, will be handy for xmas :blink:

Discostu

Now now children. Ok valid points made by both parties so lets agree to disagree. I had my ecu under the bonnet on my turbo and ran it for over a year in all weather conditions with no problems, although it was bolted to the battery tray and not as near the expansion bottle as yours. I'd just be sure the overflow pipe is routed properly and not near the ecu, i'd say it should be ok :blink:

Bonnet looks naff like that, have you come up with a fix yet? I assume my bonnet is going to be the same :lol:

Whats stopping it from sitting flush then. The top mount itself or the strut top nut?

maxi
i dont like it either ;) and thats how i left it, it wont stay like it either, "something" will be done to sort the issue

the back height is fine, the front isn't as low as i used to run it, see above for bonnet

your right any water there will kill my ECU :wacko: pmsl at that, do you think it stays dry under there?

NOPE :lol:

I will be the one pissing myself laughing when you accidently spill some coolant when filling the expansion tank up. Actually, come to think of it, you as a single member has made me laugh several times in the things youve done on here. Ignore what I say in opposition to your ideas, carry on regardless, it makes for comical watching for myself and many others!

Maxi

Spiky
I will be the one pissing myself laughing when you accidently spill some coolant when filling the expansion tank up. Actually, come to think of it, you as a single member has made me laugh several times in the things youve done on here. Ignore what I say in opposition to your ideas, carry on regardless, it makes for comical watching for myself and many others!

Maxi

i do ignore what you say.... everytime......

do i look like a sheep??? no ... :lol: i'm just happen to come from wales.

if we all did the same thing, life would be boring..... my life is far from boring and sheep like :wacko:

if i succeed of fail in what i do, it's my choice, if i entertain people along the way.. i will either way....lol

Powers
Id say he was making a perfectly valid point tbh, water around there will get in the ECU plug and double relay, and the car wont start. Instead of taking on board the advice of someone far more experienced with 205s than yourself, you have made a silly comment. Well done, have a cracker.

And as for the filling the expansion tank comment, dont make me laugh mate, get about 5 years more experience under your belt before you start looking down on people who have been playing with 205s for years.

God I love this forum some times with comments like this.

A valid point to some is completely irrelevant and pointless to others. Do you not think that during the recent rewire Spiky would have considered moving the ecu if he thought it was worth his time and effort. The ECU has been in close proximity to the expansion bottle for the past 12 months, hasn’t caused him any problems so why waste time and money repositioning it, and when it comes to topping up with coolant use a funnel. Oh and if it does feck up his ECU, buy another for £50. However if it was a DTA or OMEX I am sure his thought process would have been slightly different.

As regarding the "5 more years experience" comment that just made me cringe. There is a local guy near where I live who services and maintains his 205 Cti, he's about 70 years old and has had the car from new. I make that around 20 years experience give or take a few. Don’t worry Spiky I will ask him about your top mounts and bonnet problem tomorrow I am sure he will know the answer. If he doesn’t then what ever you do don’t think for yourself!

I will be the one pissing myself laughing when you accidentally spill some coolant when filling the expansion tank up. Actually, come to think of it, you as a single member has made me laugh several times in the things you’ve done on here. Ignore what I say in opposition to your ideas, carry on regardless, it makes for comical watching for myself and many others!

Maxi

So at least he has made you laugh rather than thinking what a complete tit, a shame really as then I am sure the feeling would be mutual.

Edited by Powers

taylorspug
As regarding the "5 more years experience" comment that just made me cringe. There is a local guy near where I live who services and maintains his 205 Cti, he's about 70 years old and has had the car from new. I make that around 20 years experience give or take a few. Don’t worry Spiky I will ask him about your top mounts and bonnet problem tomorrow I am sure he will know the answer. If he doesn’t then what ever you do don’t think for yourself!

He probably hasnt done more MI and GTI6 conversions than hes had hot dinners though has he, which was my main point. Maxis post was made from EXPERIENCE of problems such as this, both the ECU and double relay are extremely prone to water ingress. Even a quick splash of water on the double relay can cause it not to start. Also saying a new ECU is only £50 is all well and good, but doesnt really help on the side of the road in winter does it?

These issues were only raised in an attempt to help Spiky out and save any trouble, and have been met with hostility by both Spiky and you. Maybe people shouldnt bother trying?

Powers

My point was that its been like that for 12 months and he hasn't had any problems so why go through all the hassle of changing it for the remote chance of water spilling onto the ECU causing it to fail. Plus its a track car, will only be used around 4 or 5 times during winter and he has AA cover.

Spiky's hostile reaction was due to the fact it was raised by Maxi who has a history of posting negative and pointless replies to Spiky's topics.

My hostile reaction was raised against Maxi for the aforementioned reason and towards you for your experience comment.

DrSarty

Sorry to join this late. Did I miss anything? :blink:

:D

Matt Holley

All this over an ecu, has no one seen where peugeot put the ecu on a 106? right next to the washer bottle filler, I dont seen hundreds of topics on people blowing up ecus every time they fill the washer bottle up.

DrSarty

TBH, I side with Maxi and Dan on this.

Allow me to explain please.

First off I assure you, Maxi, Dan and I are not friends as such, we are purely forum acquaintances. I agree Adam can be a bit brutal at times, but he's usually talking sense which I couldn't really argue with. And I believe what I'm writing below is pretty much what Dan was saying. Now they are friends, but I don't think that's the point.

This is not a d*ck swinging contest. When people on this forum take the time to post a reply, it's not for status or post counts, it's to offer some friendly advice. I'd take it as such.

It's your choice Spiky whether you leave the ECU there naturally. But you've gotta admit, removing any risks, if at all practical and simple should be done as a matter of course.

I would relocate it. YOU may choose not to. But please help prevent these things becoming confrontational as it detracts from the maturity this forum offers in the main to all readers.

Edited by DrSarty

Powers

I will be in the garage later and I will check if my bonnet fits.

Spiky
All this over an ecu, has no one seen where peugeot put the ecu on a 106? right next to the washer bottle filler, I dont seen hundreds of topics on people blowing up ecus every time they fill the washer bottle up.

shocking isnt it.....lol

to solve all the issues, i wont bother updating this forum any more :)

hope everyone is happy with that :D

rapidcossie

ECU in my 57 plate combo van is behind the front rad grill! uncovered!

pug_ham

I've yet to see a washer bottle explode due to a failed head gasket or some other problem that causes it to empty its contents due to excessive

pressure in the system.

Graham.

maturin23
to solve all the issues, i wont bother updating this forum any more :D

hope everyone is happy with that :(

Don't be so bleedin' sensitive :) I've been following your progress, so I'll be disappointed if you stop posting on it.

You've not had the old rubber band round the knacker's have you? :D

In the ongoing positive spirit of this forum we should all hold hands and solemnly agree to disagree... :)

Peetypug

bloody hell what have i walk in on here :)

advice is something that is asked for or given. its then up to the individual how he/she uses it

other than the battery box or extending the loom for the ecu, to put it in the cab, where else is there to mount it?

i've been thinking of just cutting the box off the side of the battery box and mounting that behind the expansion tank

maxi
TBH, I side with Maxi and Dan on this.

Allow me to explain please.

First off I assure you, Maxi, Dan and I are not friends as such, we are purely forum acquaintances. I agree Adam can be a bit brutal at times, but he's usually talking sense which I couldn't really argue with. And I believe what I'm writing below is pretty much what Dan was saying. Now they are friends, but I don't think that's the point.

This is not a d*ck swinging contest. When people on this forum take the time to post a reply, it's not for status or post counts, it's to offer some friendly advice. I'd take it as such.

It's your choice Spiky whether you leave the ECU there naturally. But you've gotta admit, removing any risks, if at all practical and simple should be done as a matter of course.

I would relocate it. YOU may choose not to. But please help prevent these things becoming confrontational as it detracts from the maturity this forum offers in the main to all readers.

The Dr talks a lot of sense (sometimes). I dont come across well online, this has een posted a million times before and every so often someone gets upset with what I write and we all have a big fall out. However, if we all met in person im sure we'd all get along fine.....whilst moving your ECU out of harms way :)

Maxi

DrSarty

There: all sorted.

Now Mr Spiky: what's going on in sheep land? Does the bonnet fit yet? I shall go and look in your project thread.

Edited by DrSarty

Alastairh
I've yet to see a washer bottle explode due to a failed head gasket or some other problem that causes it to empty its contents due to excessive

pressure in the system.

Graham.

Also the other issue that 106 also has a cover over it.

Funny this. This conversation came up with me and Anthony the other day whilst picking up his new drift wagon, as i was explaining about doing another 6 conversion. My point was putting the ecu in the original 205 position. To me its no bother like many people on here, being in the electronics trade, as it would take under 30 minutes to change and cost £0. But Anthonys point being, it came out the factory in a 306 under the bonnet - but covered, so why changed it? - Fair point.

But what you have to remember, the expansion tank is also at the opposite side of the engine bay in the 306, as per a 205 GTI6 conversion. So i would atleast cover it, as i did in my brothers 205 S16 conversion.

Al

DrSarty
i was explaining about doing another 6 conversion.

Come again Dadda? :)

I thought you - or at least your wallet - was manicled to the Moses basket!!

Alastairh

Well yeah, thats what the women know about, but the money under the matress :)

Sign in to follow this