• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maxi

ECU Mounting Location

Matt Holley
Also the other issue that 106 also has a cover over it.

Funny this. This conversation came up with me and Anthony the other day whilst picking up his new drift wagon, as i was explaining about doing another 6 conversion. My point was putting the ecu in the original 205 position. To me its no bother like many people on here, being in the electronics trade, as it would take under 30 minutes to change and cost £0. But Anthonys point being, it came out the factory in a 306 under the bonnet - but covered, so why changed it? - Fair point.

But what you have to remember, the expansion tank is also at the opposite side of the engine bay in the 306, as per a 205 GTI6 conversion. So i would atleast cover it, as i did in my brothers 205 S16 conversion.

Al

My wifes gti has a cover but im sure the mother in laws 1.1 doesnt, and the expansion cap on a 106 is mounted on o/s of the radiator which is still close to the ecu its just not as easy to spill water on it but if it was to explode as someone put it, it would be in easy reach.

Bakes100

My ecu is mounted slightly further forward that the standard 306 position although it isnt covered by the plastic box for protection. I did have slight concern when removing the box (battery to the boot) but its now done 15k with regular checks and havent noticed any problems yet :lol:. But its far from ideal.

Ill stick a picture up later of how I mounted it.

dcc

All this conflicting advice.

My car might not work if i put my ecu anywhere outside of the cockpit. f*** it, ill walk then.

Miles

This is good, But I think most people if the headgasket went in the car's life would scrap it now, I know Pug Performace stick the ECU's in front of the header tank and I;ve seen many a turbo conversion stuck behing the bumper.

I'm with Al, Moving the ECU inside is what I tend to do as I have all the tools and 99% if the parts to hand so wwould just cost some time, plus I hate mucky engine may's so dare I say it I like the Look of the sparten VW bay's which is what I'm trying with my 306.

GLPoomobile

If it's a concern, cut up a black bin bag and wrap it over the ECU, then cable tie it together around the loom. Pure ghetto, pure function :lol:

Garry

As an EX Pug Performance car, my ECU was next to the header tank. As it turns out my cooling system had been pressurising for 4 years and occasionally leaking and the ECU was fine (Bear in mind that my Ph 2 header tank overflow points towards the bulk head).

Now that I have fitted the supercharger I have fitted the ECU in the passenger footwell. I cut a 54mm (iirc) hole in the bulkhead which was big enough for the ECU plug that is attached to the loom to fit through, and added a grommet. I didn't need to adjust the loom to do this, but I would advise that the ECU is mounted upside down :lol: (I had a few water issues!)

GLPoomobile

Out of interest Garry, what grommet did you use? One rescued from a donor car, or a suitable new one from somewhere (if so, where?)?

rubyna
God I love this forum some times with comments like this.

A valid point to some is completely irrelevant and pointless to others. Do you not think that during the recent rewire Spiky would have considered moving the ecu if he thought it was worth his time and effort. The ECU has been in close proximity to the expansion bottle for the past 12 months, hasn’t caused him any problems so why waste time and money repositioning it, and when it comes to topping up with coolant use a funnel. Oh and if it does feck up his ECU, buy another for £50. However if it was a DTA or OMEX I am sure his thought process would have been slightly different.

As regarding the "5 more years experience" comment that just made me cringe. There is a local guy near where I live who services and maintains his 205 Cti, he's about 70 years old and has had the car from new. I make that around 20 years experience give or take a few. Don’t worry Spiky I will ask him about your top mounts and bonnet problem tomorrow I am sure he will know the answer. If he doesn’t then what ever you do don’t think for yourself!

So at least he has made you laugh rather than thinking what a complete tit, a shame really as then I am sure the feeling would be mutual.

Hows it going mate, im from up the valley in Blaina what colour is youpug is it a miami? only i was down that end today and had a bit of fun with it, just wonderd if it was you? I got a sorrento green 1.9! We have to meet up some time, any cruise action down your ways then? pm me if you want.. luke

Spiky

lol this still going.

my ECU os stiff sat in the same place and the bonnet fits fine,

as for my thread getting anymore,,,, i very much doubt it...

RUBYNA,

i'm in abertilley all the time as the mrs parents live there, they live at the bottom of town, by the pub that got burnt down last year, there is a 205 gti there, is that you?

tracktoy

i wonder if its possible to combine the ecu and header tank in one unit- save a bit more weight

:)

rubyna
lol this still going.

my ECU os stiff sat in the same place and the bonnet fits fine,

as for my thread getting anymore,,,, i very much doubt it...

RUBYNA,

i'm in abertilley all the time as the mrs parents live there, they live at the bottom of town, by the pub that got burnt down last year, there is a 205 gti there, is that you?

yes thats mine , i just finished having the paint work touched up this week. Theres a Miami about up here aswell dont know who he is though its for sale or it was last time i seen it.

and my brother got a red rally prepd 1 on twin 45 dellortos he been2yrs doing that but its lovely now fair play.

DrSarty

Man that's cool. You objected to giving away 'personal' information in joining the forum and then say that. That's class Steve. :mellow:

welshpug

that's up the valley from me that is :mellow: saw that Miami earlier this week, 17" 5 spoke momo Arrows on it I think.

Spiky
yes thats mine , i just finished having the paint work touched up this week. Theres a Miami about up here aswell dont know who he is though its for sale or it was last time i seen it.

and my brother got a red rally prepd 1 on twin 45 dellortos he been2yrs doing that but its lovely now fair play.

cool,

has he got a cage in it too? as i saw one being followed by a white 106 the other day

hexhamstu
Theres a Miami about up here aswell dont know who he is though its for sale or it was last time i seen it.

that's up the valley from me that is :huh: saw that Miami earlier this week, 17" 5 spoke momo Arrows on it I think.

did you see the for sale price?

Edited by hexhamstu

Sign in to follow this