• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eob

Mi16 Not Starting - Nearly There Though!

eob

As Jack kindly points out, my ECU is fine so it's on to check the CAS which is looking like the most likely culprit at this stage :ph34r:

PS. Damnit, I'm being hunted down by Octane.ie members :)

Edited by eob

[L'e$kro]

Are you sure there is a Crank Position Sensor on a BX 16s?

It's a XU9, so the ignition is fired using a distributor on the exhaust camshaft, like on a early XU9JA?

Nicolas

jackherer
' date='Dec 22 2008, 07:13 PM' post='888859']

Are you sure there is a Crank Position Sensor on a BX 16s?

It's a XU9, so the ignition is fired using a distributor on the exhaust camshaft, like on a early XU9JA?

Nicolas

None of that is correct, all XU9 16Vs use a crank sensor and no distributor, just a distributor cap, on the inlet camshaft.

GLPoomobile
no distributor, just a distributor cap, on the inlet camshaft.

It's still technically a distributor (insert sticky out tongue smiley)........but we've been down this road before :)

jackherer
(insert sticky out tongue smiley)

Colon pee

eob

Replaced the crank position sensor, still nothing! The ECU is fine though, anything else that I should look at? Is there a checklist anywhere?

On a D6C, does the ECU 'prime' the fuel pump for a few seconds when it's powered up?

GLPoomobile
On my 405 2 row, pin 16 is an earth. It goes to the gearbox earth point. It also Ts off to the brown relay.

Eob, have you done anything regarding the above comment? As if there is a missing earth, surely this could be a problem!

Apart from that, I've re-read the topic and you seem to have checked it all thoroughly, so don't know what else to suggest except to go over everything again and double check. Re-check all wires are in the right place and returning the correct values under the correct conditions. I don't know what Autodata is like, so it may be worth downloading CAPS (from the sticky on here) and checking that out to see if it gives you any extra pointers.

I'm also going to email you the wiring diagram I made for my Mi when I remade my loom. EDIT: Your email address is not in your profile, so if you want to PM it to me I'll send the diagram over later. Just think it may be of some use to you.

I don't recall ever hearing my pump prime on first switching the ignition.

Since you know the ECU works, to my mind it has to be either

1 - a CPS fault (you've swapped twice, but do you know the replacements work on another car? And even if the sensor is fine, it could be a wiring fault between the sensor and the ECU)

2 - a relay fault (you said they are working fine, but double check what they are doing upon ignition and cranking)

3 - a wiring fault in the loom

Regarding the relays, I don't have it to hand, but I made a note a while back of exactly what readings I was getting from each pin of the 2 relays when the car was running and when cranking, so I could compare it to what was happening when it was refusing to start (I have developed an intermitant problem with no fuelling, which may be similar to your problem). Off the top of my head, I think both relays should have a permanent 12v to one pin, and then when running you should see 12v at 3 pins on each relay and of course an earth on the 4th pin of each relay (when I say 4th, I don't literally mean pin 4 though). I'm sure this is what it says in CAPS too. So have a look at what they are actualy doing when you are cranking and compare it to the CAPS/Autodata figures. I propped my multimeter up on the strut top facing the windscreen so I could see it from the drivers seat while turning the ignition.

Edited by GLPoomobile

philfingers

got a similar problem with my 2 row Mi16 today. Just been installed. I'm pretty sure my wiring is correct. I spun it over on the starter without plugs, fuel (tank is empty anyway) and sparks to get the oil pressure up (was 60 psi on cranking). Anyway the fuel pump doesn't even prime. I shorted the relay out and it (fuel pump) runs ok then (so wiring to the pump is ok). I don't get any clicks of the fuel or ign relay. Tho one under the dash clicks when I turn the ign on. Only thing I don't have connected is the coil, not sure if this is relevant. Haven't checked to see if it sparks yet. Just concerned the fuel pump doesn't fire. Basically was try to run the pump to check for fuel leaks before trying to start it.

Any ideas? Does the ECU need to be earth by bolting to the shell, I seem to remember seeing ECUs floating around under seat before so I was thinking probably not this. There doesn't seem to be a 12v on the coil of the relay (obvioduly there is on the thick yellow to the relay as it's runs when this is shorted to the switched o/p.

Car is a phase 1. I'm using the std sensor loom for sensors and starter motor feed. Mi16 for the ecu, incjectors, ign amp, coil, afm, cas, tps etc etc

Edited by philfingers

Sign in to follow this