• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DamirGTI

Primer For Acrylic Lacquer ?!

DamirGTI

Hi !

Need to respray few spots on the metal/bodywork and also the plastics (side skirts ..) , my first intention was to use cellulose paint but unfortunately i simply can't find appropriate shade of red cellulose paint (i've bought 3 different cans of red cellulose paint and none of them don't suit the car color shade , not even near , they're all too dark shades of red ..) however i found one can of red acrylic lacquer (rattle can..) which is almost identical by the shade and might be suitable ..

So , was wondering , can i use ordinary cellulose primer as an base for acrylic lacquer top coat without the risk of paint/solvent reaction ? :) (acrylic thinners are some kind of Acetone/Toluene mix right ?!)

Thanks ! :(

Damir

Paintguy

Yes, you should be ok doing it that way :D

DamirGTI

So the celly primer wont react with the acrylic lacquer from rattle cans ? :huh: i've been to the paint shop to ask if they have proper acrylic primer and they offered me an water based acrylic primer and lacquer , said that almost all acrylic paints are now water based :wacko: and thinning system is mixing with water ?!?!? + they need AGES to dry out completely , like ordinary oil based paints :ph34r:

Anyway , bar the metal/bodywork i also need to fix up the paintwork on these plastic side skirts :

IMG_8925.jpg

.. however the lower areas around the corners are deeply grooved by the flying stones thrown from the tyres :

IMG_8926.jpg

IMG_8927-1.jpg

.. what can i use in order to build up the surface (to fill up these craters without the need for marathon sanding ..) before applying top coat paint ?! obviously i'll need an plastic primer before top coat paint but can i also use high build cellulose primer for this job :D was thinking like this -> sand down and clean up the surface with solvent -> light coat of plastic primer -> cellulose high build primer -> acrylic lacquer on top ..

Thanks ! :)

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

craig f90
.. what can i use in order to build up the surface (to fill up these craters without the need for marathon sanding ..) before applying top coat paint ?! obviously i'll need an plastic primer before top coat paint but can i also use high build cellulose primer for this job :D was thinking like this -> sand down and clean up the surface with solvent -> light coat of plastic primer -> cellulose high build primer -> acrylic lacquer on top ..

Thanks ! :wacko:

Damir

Yeah you could do it that way or use a very light skim of plastic filler??

DamirGTI

Well , i really hate sanding bits (i'm allergic to dust and lots of other crap so i need to stay away from this dusty stuff as much as possible..) , i'll try with the celly high build primer first :D

Thanks ! :wacko:

Damir

Sign in to follow this