• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtdog

Single Wiper

dirtdog

Regarding the article on how to convert to Single wiper, has anyone done this with good result?

I guess now is the best time to ask, can someone please take a picture of how much area the single blade covers with a wet windscreen. Just so that I can see the wipe mark clearly. I've been looking at doing this for some time now but i'm worried it will reduce the area I can see out of by too much. Thanks

bensonmi

had loads of problems with one of these before, it did cover the screen properly but kept on jaming and stoppin, mental annoying when driving in the rain! however, it was alredy fittted to a car i had bought so dont know if theyd done it properly but it was done using the method every one else uses.

pug_ham

When I had one on my car, it worked perfectly.

Getting the length right is very critical, if you cut it to short then it'll jam like Benson says but I managed to get mine so it swept almost all of the glass from rubber to rubber. It did jam once or twice though iirc in very heavy rain when it was one top speed & jumped the rubber.

Graham.

dirtdog
it swept almost all of the glass from rubber to rubber.

Now that sounds good to me! Anyone happen to have any piccys?

jord294

since doing this conversion i've had no problems whatsoever :)

i did replace the washer jets though, and i actually straightened the o/e wiper arm, but still use a 18"wiper blade

hopefully you can make out the wipe line

post-11467-1227701760_thumb.jpg

GLPoomobile

I never had a single problem with mine, because I didn't cut it too short. It covered a sweep of about 150 degrees, so if you imagine where your tax disc would normally be, my wiper would sit above that and sweep to the same position on the drivers side.

TBH, I think it looks gash (in hindsight). I removed mine because I never liked having the unswept section in the top corner by the A pillar (to the right of your field of vision when driving). It just annoyed me.

dirtdog

That's exactly what I needed, cheers!

What did you do with the hole for the other motor? Leave it open or cover it? I can't make it out in the pic'

dirtdog
I never had a single problem with mine, because I didn't cut it too short. It covered a sweep of about 150 degrees, so if you imagine where your tax disc would normally be, my wiper would sit above that and sweep to the same position on the drivers side.

TBH, I think it looks gash (in hindsight). I removed mine because I never liked having the unswept section in the top corner by the A pillar (to the right of your field of vision when driving). It just annoyed me.

I can live with it. You should see the state my wipers have been in for months :)

One cold frosty morning, accidently hit the wiper stalk and it ripped the actual wiper rubber part off. Left me with a flat rubber bit that just spread the water generously across the windscreen. Oh the fun...

jord294

just trimmed a rubber grommet. it blends in well :)

bensonmi

The one on mine was fitted by the previous owner so for all i know it could'v been on the car for years and maybe was worn out, so definately worth a go if you got a spare linkage etc.

It did clear from rubber to rubber though, but you did get poor visability as mentioned in the top corner.

The spare hole in mine was covererd with a rubber blanking bung from halfords or somewhere like that.

VisaGTi16v

My Visa and ZX have single wiper as standard, far lighter :)

sonofsam
Regarding the article on how to convert to Single wiper, has anyone done this with good result?

I guess now is the best time to ask, can someone please take a picture of how much area the single blade covers with a wet windscreen. Just so that I can see the wipe mark clearly. I've been looking at doing this for some time now but i'm worried it will reduce the area I can see out of by too much. Thanks

You dont actually have to cut the linkage at all, you can remove the rod from the bracket by grinding the bottom tab weld off and tapping

the rod out and redrilling the hole for it further back, and the a spot of weld to hold in again, thats how I did my last two or three

and have not had any complaints.

Phil H

When this was all the rage, I used the mech off an AX, extended the arm a tad and popped the 205 spindle and sleeve on the arm as it is longe than the AX.

Ended up selling on ebay when the novelty wore off.

Edited by Phil H

pug_ham

My car (in its early days) with the homemade linkage fitted & set to park on drivers side.

Graham.

post-71-1227793480_thumb.jpg

sonofsam
You dont actually have to cut the linkage at all, you can remove the rod from the bracket by grinding the bottom tab weld off and tapping

the rod out and redrilling the hole for it further back, and the a spot of weld to hold in again, thats how I did my last two or three

and have not had any complaints.

EDIT: remove the ball, not the rod! Sorry. :)

Sign in to follow this