• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mjs87

Revs Drop With An Electrical Load?please Help

Guest mjs87

hello all..... i have a problem with my 1.6 205 gti k reg ever since i bought the car if any electrical load put on ie headlights my engines revs drop i expect there to be little bit.... but it just doesnt seem right to me any one else had same problems?car runs perfect with no load on revs nice and firm just about 1000rpm its fine in the day but at night just the lights on it drops to bout 900 if something else is added it just keeps dropping shouldnt it compensate for the extra load?. Iv changed the alternator and battery new battery wiring (earths to block and body also new live to alternator) coil, checked for air leaks and its had a service inc ht leads can anyone help??also very recently my idle has been very varied i set up the throttle switch as per Mr haynes got it set up nicely at about 1000 but it has a mind of its own and could change to 1100 1000 or 900rpm then i have the electrical problem too i gave my air screw a clean and afm but havnt tested it with my multimeter yet, could this be all my problem as im running out of ideas and patience :D also one last thing my choke is about 1500rpm until my car warms up never have a problem starting just wanted to find out if everyone elses is the same just thought it could be too high i have had a new sad fitted just thought i would ask thanks for your time very much appreciated Mark

Namder

all sound pretty normal to me

all my pugs have done smilair thing to this, when i'm running loads of electrics mine almost stalls!!

bensonmi

same here, sounds perfectly normal to me all my pugs have done that!

Anthony

As said, the idle dropping with additional electrical load is normal since the engine doesn't have any form of idle control valve.

However, it shouldn't drop excessively or cause the engine to stall or hunt. I'd personally check the idle mixture is correct, as if that's wrong then it makes the issue much worse in my experience - aim for around 1% CO.

I normally set the idle speed to be around 850-900rpm under full electrical load (ie lights, fans, heated screen etc) which then usually equates to around 950-1000rpm under normal conditions with no/low electrical load.

mr_exe

We always used to have the tickover on our 1.6 set with lights and the radio on!

Guest mjs87

ok so it isnt just me B) i will check the co cheers for that but im fighting a losing battle really :)

jamiej

when i set mine up, i had full beam on and the rear window de minster, these sap a hige amount of electricity. With them off it sits at about 1100 RPM which seems fine, does drop to about 950 with it all on.

HTH

Jamie

Guest mjs87

so all i need to do is set it up to compensate for the electrics theres not much i can do really........... changing the subject abit i was thinking on fitting bike carbs has anyone fitted them to a 1.6gti is there any problems with them and would it mean i would scrap my ecu or would i have to keep it if i did do this would this give me a better idle with electrics on? is it worth doing any advise would be great before i ring up boggbrothers and hand over just under £600

mhyphenl

I have to say that my 1.9 doesn't drop the revs so much it stalls and I set my idle to 900 with most things off, however if I'm sat with the fan on then indicate, or any other combination like that the fans speed changes with the flashing light or wiper etc. Not a major problem but annoying! What regulates the voltage on these things??

dcc

my megane drops from 800 to 500 when i turn on some of the electrics at the same time. wasnt particularly bothered about this though.

Sign in to follow this