• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

1.8 16v Turbo

Rob Turbo

After my engine broke (still not sure what's wrong exactly, but I'm not getting my hopes up!) I've been on the look out for either a replacement or an 8v turbo bottom end. After hunting about it seems that 1.8 16v engines are easier to come across and cheaper.

My question is, could I expect more power from a 1.8 16v turbo than I could get (or was getting) from a 2.0 8v turbo? Or should I just keep looking for a 2.0 of some description?

I'm not planning on keeping the plastic inlet BTW!

Thanks,

Rob

welshpug

any point? Peugeot must have thought so, 205 T16 used one :blush:

Could use the gti6 inlet, cam's are already fairly mild so may work with boost, ports quite small, not sure if this would hamper a boosted application, GTi6 head would be an option however.

From what I remember reading about the engine its geometry means that the piston velocity is lower at the same RPM as another engine, which one I cannot be certain, I've drunk too much Cider :D

its also lighter...

weejimmy

goig to the extrems of a turbo just start with a 2.0

if you have to buy the engine anyway.

8v turbo with gti6 head etc

Rob Turbo
goig to the extrems of a turbo just start with a 2.0

if you have to buy the engine anyway.

8v turbo with gti6 head etc

That's the thing though, the 2.0 engines are harder to find and more expensive, plus I'm not specifically going for a 16v turbo, if I get a 16v engine, it's getting turbo'd, if I get an 8v engine, it's getting turbo'd, I'm not getting an 8v engine, bits of 16v engine, making extra bits etc. I got sick of that last time I decided I wanted a 16v turbo engine!

cybernck

you will need to get a 16v turbo manifold of some sort (expensive) or make a new one.

and you'd really have to get mappable engine management too.

i'd say stick to 2.0 8v Turbo unless you know what you're doing and can afford it :).

Sign in to follow this