• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BamBamGTI

Non-starter

BamBamGTI

Bit of a recurring problem this. Had a brand new battery about a month ago after the old halfords one decided to start discharging itself. The pug has ran fine ever since, but I went to start her up this morning and - nada.

The ignition lights all come on, and I can hear a hum from under the bonnet but she won't turn over. Could this be a dodgy starter? I have a spare Mi16 one, are the interchangeble?

Checked the battery and it all checks out at 12.5v so its not that. Ive also got an immobilizer fitted and it seems like the car is immobilized, because i get the same symptoms if I don't disengage the immobilizer before turning the key. Could it be that?

Im tearing me hair out here, gotta drive this f***ing thing to Spain in a couple of weeks. Ive got my doubts as to weather she'll make it to f***ing calais...

bensonmi

the way i checked my starter was i took a live straight of the bat onto the spade terminal on the starter just to see if it turned over. make sure its not in gear though!

if you can bump start the car with a push,quite likely not the immobiliser. had similar problems in the past but luckily when the immobiliser packed in i called the aa man and he removed it for me and didnt cost a pennyresult!

BamBamGTI
the way i checked my starter was i took a live straight of the bat onto the spade terminal on the starter just to see if it turned over. make sure its not in gear though!

if you can bump start the car with a push,quite likely not the immobiliser. had similar problems in the past but luckily when the immobiliser packed in i called the aa man and he removed it for me and didnt cost a pennyresult!

how would i connect the positive terminal of the battery to the starter? could i use a jump lead or something?

bensonmi

im a bit of a cowboy but i use any type of cable that comes to hand, jump lead might be a bit bulky to fit in the gap. get a cable strip the outer a little bit on one end and join the cable to the + on the bat at the other end. be carefull tho not to spark the exposed end on any metal or anything tho! just flash it on the spade terminal to see if it turns over

MrG

make sure its not in gear when you do it! Silly I know but saw the effects of someones foot & shin when they did a similar thing to another make of car (he was standing by the side of the car!).

MrG

does it just click at all when the key is turned?

I had the alarm off my old BMW as this just prevented the 12v needed to turn the car over getting through.

BamBamGTI
make sure its not in gear when you do it! Silly I know but saw the effects of someones foot & shin when they did a similar thing to another make of car (he was standing by the side of the car!).

Ill give it a go... cheers lads

bensonmi
Ill give it a go... cheers lads

any joy yet?

richard

This is exactly the same issue i have as you describe . Its fine if i whack on freshly charged battery...or dont leave it for 2 weeks or so.

The starter motor was a brand new starter motor (not a recon) which stopped all of my problems for 18 months or so. Now they've come back and im after a newer, smaller XU starter. (which answers your MI question) Im sure the 205 std ones suffer from heat soak causing things to stick up inside the solenoid.

Would be worth cleaning up your solenoid connecter(usually a crappy spade connection), Another risk is its the tachy relay.

welshpug

check that you get full voltage at the starter solenoid down the switching wire, more often than not this wire breaks down and you get a voltage drop, doesn't take a lot for the solenoid to cease moving at all.

This wire also goes through a Brown multiplug in the engine bay (normally under the AFM) on most but not all 205's, replace this secion of wire back to the plug under the dash next to the steering column to ensure that is all good.

richard

just to update this topic.

this weekend,

replaced shunt box with a fantastic condition one (mine was corroded to hell) replaced postive from battery to shunt box. replaced battery connectors, replaced negative feed to engine, added an additional earth strap to the body.

Car started straight away and idle'd perfectly at 1000rpm. Its not done this for a while.

When replacing the positive from battery it litterally fell apart in my hand(fire risk there im sure) and the copper was a black mess. Must have had some massive voltage loss through that part of the system.

Sign in to follow this