• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
WooDooUK

Water In The Sills

WooDooUK

Hi,

After heavy rain i can always hear water sloshing about in the drivers side sill, it is more than likley just a blocked drainage hole, However its not obvios (to me anyway :) ) were the hole is.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

skeggyrik

In the bottom of each sill there are weep holes and they get blocked up, there was a thread about this a while back , some people got pints and pints out of theirs after a quick broggle in the hole to unblock it. If you look along the "seam" on the bottom on the sill you will see the the lightly wider section this "slot" gets blocked up with crap and the sill can fill with water.

You may have to jack the rear of the car up up to get it all out if remember what others said in that post I referred to.

Ryan

There are also a couple of rubber bungs in the bottom of each sill. They have an X-shaped cut in them, and you can push you finger through them to drain the water out. I pulled the bungs out, as the normal smaller drain holes were all blocked with underseal.

Check the rear window seals, as this is usually where the water gets in in the first place.

joe1joe

yep i had this problem........ looked as tho som of the holes had been blocked with sealer from factory??? i jst driled them out, and am gona now put som treatment in the seals ...

DamirGTI

Are you sure that this sloshing sound comes from the sills ? :) i've had the same kind of sound and it was water trapped inside the passenger doors :D .. so i cleaned up the drain passages on the bottom of the doors and i also drilled two little holes on each corner just to be sure that all the water drains out during monsoon rains :( .. and it's been fine since then ..

Damir :lol:

Henry Yorke

Double check it is not in your footwell too. I have had this happen on a mates 406 and my 306 DTurbo. I couldn't locate the drain hole so I just made a new small one!

Edited by Henry Yorke

bren_1.3

get it out pronto. my e-reg drivers side sill needed welding up quite substancially after being brimmed with water for a few years.

joe1joe

my car was def in the sills....ALOT came out

mr_exe

We've got this with the XS we've just acquired, but i've made a new drain hole with my finger :)

SurGie
In the bottom of each sill there are weep holes and they get blocked up, there was a thread about this a while back , some people got pints and pints out of theirs after a quick broggle in the hole to unblock it. If you look along the "seam" on the bottom on the sill you will see the the lightly wider section this "slot" gets blocked up with crap and the sill can fill with water.

You may have to jack the rear of the car up up to get it all out if remember what others said in that post I referred to.

Here it is mate.

stutto

Bump because of the weather we've had recently - check yours if you have not done so recently.

I thought I heard water in the sill last night as I left work and sure enough the rear two drainage points were solid with sealant/paint. Upon breaching the blockage with a penknife water trickled out for a good couple of minutes. :blush:

Pob
There are also a couple of rubber bungs in the bottom of each sill. They have an X-shaped cut in them, and you can push you finger through them to drain the water out. I pulled the bungs out, as the normal smaller drain holes were all blocked with underseal.

Check the rear window seals, as this is usually where the water gets in in the first place.

I've done this on mine... I had alot of water in my sills pulled the plugs out and alot of water came out, I've also left them out. Still don't know where the water was/is getting in. I fitted new window seals and pretty sure it still gets in somehow.

Dan

Edited by Pob