• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205gtichris

Major Steering Issues

205gtichris

Right i have a 205 mi16 which to be honest has never driven straight, it has always tugged slightly side to side but nothing major and i have put up with it until today when it started pulling very hard to the left and i mean i could not hold the steering wheel straight , seemed to be when i was putting load on the engine or dipping the clutch (under acceleration it was fine) . i have recently replaced the driveshafts, new wishbones and bushes, new track rod ends and drop links , good shocks and springs good top mounts and engine mounts , i have had it on the ramp at work and every bolt is tight and there is no play in anything . could this problem be cause by the diff ? this is the only thing i can think it could be but would it cause the car to suddenly pull hard to one side????

need this sorted or its getting pulled to pieces and the shell is to tasty to scrap please help

welshpug

Have you had the tracking set?

check the rear beam.

205gtichris

yeah tracking has been done and the beam is a good one .

steve@cornwall

how about a binding front brake?

Moz_Goodwood

check your calipers on the front, my brothers 205 piston got jammed out, but that completly locked up the front wheel and almost sent him into a hedge :)

he did go to a dodgy garage though who instead of changing his pads when his light come on they just cut the cable a couple of weeks earlier

Edited by Moz_Goodwood

205gtichris

the brakes seem to be in gwo but i was gonna upgrade them any way so il do it asap

kb_205

i have the same problem!!!

i have all New grp N engine mounts, wishbones, d/shfts , Gaz coilovers, wheels and tyres... ect and it still done it! :)

definately check the rear beam for camber!

i thought mine was a good one until i had the exact same steering issues when the engine was under load, felt horrible to drive

i have got a new beam purchased from anthony, it will be going on soon and im hoping this will sort the problem

as i cant think of anything else it could be!!

Gd luck sorting it

DrSarty

Or it's the diff like you suggested. Sometimes, unfortunately, even on modern cars, it's a process of elimination. You seem to have most bases covered, so unless your wheelnuts aren't on properly, I think the way you are approaching it is correct.

The only other possibility is an oversized hole in the hub carrier (stub axle pivot) where the wishbone balljoint goes is. This is quite common, and shows up as play at the joint or in the wheel itself.

When you clear it, you'll be over the moon again. Persist!

Edited by DrSarty

205gtichris

il be changing calipers, discs and pads , and hubs with in the next few days really hope that will cure it , need to get it moted so i can sell it for half decent money, the rear beam was recently replaced and its in very good condition .

Edited by 205gtichris

Mr_save

Hi Mate... Did you solv your problem.. cause I`m in your same situation...

cheers

chris-stdt

my stdt had a similar problem ,was caused by the universal joint on the steering column (above steering rack) being seized and the steering wouldnt go back to the centre after cornering and i narrowly missed a few hedges at high speed :)

Took it off ,chucked it in some diesel and sprayed with wd occasionaly (a new one from peugeot is £120) :lol:

Solved my problem ,you may have other issues with your car but worth looking at

Sign in to follow this