• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hexhamstu

Engine Fan Comes On With Ignition

hexhamstu

girlfriends car just started doing this, comes on with key.

mercury
girlfriends car just started doing this, comes on with key.

hey is this tghe fan that circulates air in the cabin? Mine does the same thing lol...

hexhamstu
hey is this tghe fan that circulates air in the cabin? Mine does the same thing lol...

no its the fan in the engine bay. not really a massive problem but i guess it stops the engine getting up to temp.

mr_exe

Sounds like the fan switch is shorting out inside

hexhamstu
Sounds like the fan switch is shorting out inside

where will i find this?

mr_exe

It should be screwed into the radiator, most likely below the top house, with a 3 wire plug attached to it.

jackherer
but i guess it stops the engine getting up to temp.

Not really, its no more airflow than driving at about 20-30mph. The thermostat should close partially to restrict coolant flow to the rad.

Diesel fans must be wired differently to GTIs, as the GTI fan loom has nothing to do with the ignition so would be stuck on all the time. It must be wired like the twin fan aircon system, which uses relays, so I would guess you have a sticky relay?

hexhamstu

it doesnt really bother me in the slightest and if it was my car i would just leave it broken, but the girlfriend keeps giving me looks every time she starts the car! where will i find the relay?

Sign in to follow this