• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
weejimmy

Tuning The 12v Xud11

weejimmy

ok had my stdt rollerd at 66bhp lol so need a bit more omph,

my way of tunning is usualy to get the best lump to start with then tune that,

ie track car is t16 engine

fast car is a rotory (admiditly only a twin)

so for the stdt im picking up a 12v xud11 2.1 td at the weekend,

has anyone tunned one up?

i know they are only 85mm pistons so could go 87 but have heard stories of them doing 500k miles and think this is due to the "improvments to the cylinder sidewalls" that was done on the xu11 so would boring it out destroy this?

and also thinking 96mm crank cant rember what from.

but more realsticly it will be a bosh pump tunned up and an intercooler.

and the turbo wound up a bit

any ideas on what to expect etc?

just after any experiances anyone has had or any knowlage / opions etc

B1ack_Mi16

Just keep it 85x92 as it is.

Hilgert have told me this engine can be easily tuned to 180bhp by upping boost pressure and giving it more diesel.

Although only the very early engines have mechanical Bosch pump so you better get one from early XM og 605 I would think.

Newer ones have Lucas electronically controlled diesel pump thingy whis I believe is hard to adust without hacking an ECU or something :lol:

I'm thinking of this conversion for my new 405 daily driver myself :lol:

306-turbo-tom

i had 1 off these engine which i put in my 306, it came out off the 605 so i didnt have the electronic pump or anything, went bloody well running standard compare to the old 1.9td engine which was running 20psi and tunned pump, i dont think it would be worth messing with pistons and crank, i would put it oin and just turn the boost up a bit and pump and im sure you would be happy with it, especilly in a 205, if you need any parts i have my old 2.1 td engine still sat here

leon 1.9

Uundersteeer *screech*...

Don't forget the heavier engine will drop the ride height at the front too, so may make the ride stiffer.

Driven an xm (towing my first 205 after pranging it) with the engine, plenty of torque (and smoke, old-skool td style).

Have you thought about what gearbox and clutch you want to use yet?

weejimmy

yeah i think some boost and winding up the pump a bit is a more realistic thing to do.

im not sure about clutches and gearboxes yet,

it was quite a spur of the moment thing to buy it as i got the whole car cheaper than ive seen engines for so just took it,

i may have to change the new pump over to the old bosh one thoe. what do you have turbo tom? like pump lines and injectors?

i was planing on using bosh pump from a 1.9 td but not sure if that can be done?

thanks

306-turbo-tom

i have the merchanical pump on my old engine but its the lucus 1, i use my 1.9td clutch and gearbox

weejimmy

well got the car and its got a whole plug full of wires for the lucas pump,

anyone know if its easy enough to swap over to a bosh one from a 1.9td?

B1ack_Mi16
well got the car and its got a whole plug full of wires for the lucas pump,

anyone know if its easy enough to swap over to a bosh one from a 1.9td?

Tell me if you figure it out at least.

I'm having big problems with 1.9 TD In my 405, thinking block is cracked along bottom of all cylinders.

Also maybe having easy access to a cheap 2.1 bottom end.. would be nice if it would work with pump from 1.9. :huh:

weejimmy

ok well ill start a topic in the proper bit for projectrs when i start and let you know how i get on

B1ack_Mi16

After putting the 1.9 TD back togeather for the second time, it was still pressurizing the weater system.

So I have now bought a 1990 605 2.1 TD.

I might be able to check if the 1.9 pump will fit this engine in not too long.

weejimmy

so your 2.1 ing the 405

it was the 406 i got, and it was way faster than my 205 stdt because i got my g/f to drive my car home and we raced and the 406 just stormed away, so the 405 will be prety fast too id imagine.

im doing 100 other things just now and it was -3 in my garage yesterday so progress wont be quick on my end.

dirtdog

I'll be very intrested to see how you get on with this task weejimmy. I don't know much about the Xud11 but i'm guessing you gonna have to break out the shoe horn and the vaseline to slid that baby in?!

I'll be looking forward to the project post when you start, good luck!

weejimmy

its basicly a xu block with a 12v head. how hard can it be lol.............................................

dirtdog

Are they not much bigger than the XU7/9 engine then? I thought maybe you'd have problems with the exhaust pipe. Sorry if you're being sarcastic..I was up late last night so i'm not functioning at even 75% yet. :lol:

weejimmy

the block is the same near enough and so it the front pump mount set up.

the head is wider but not as wide as s16 etc.

i was going to knock up a tubular exhaust anyway but ill try a dummy fit with stock mainifold just so i know / can tell you guys.

my stdt pump is on its last legs im sure so this might happen sooner than i thought.

B1ack_Mi16

I'm bumping this thread now!! :)

I've had some progress and have come to the point where I wonder if there will be any problems using the 1.9 TD dieselpump on the 2.1 TD engine?

I suppose the 1.9 pump can be adjusted to suit the 2.1 engine?

The 2.1 pump however is also a Bosch pump, but it has a 3 pin connector, seem like a potmeter on top of the pump, while the 1.9 TD pump seem to have two connectors with 2 pins in each.

So I was thinking to make it all fit easier, just use 1.9 TD pump and electrical connectors will fit just fine.. Also then use the water outlet from head from 1.9 engine with the heated dieselfilter on top of termostathousing (although without a termostat as the termostat in the 2.1 engine sits in the waterpump housing at the rear).

Anyone been fiddling with this kind of stuff before? I could really need some helpful advice as I'm a complete newbie to this diesel engines!

Was just buying a daily driver with broken headgasket and everything seemed to go wrong and hence 2.1 engine was bought...

Engine seem to physically fit ok in 405 engine bay, I just need to cut away some of the strengthning bracket on the turbo-downpipe because it touches the ARB.

Comments appreciated :lol:

Also some pics from my mess:

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/B1a.../405TD/?start=0

Regards

Kristian

Edit: BTW this is the 2.1 TD pump with the 3 pin connector.. Also note all crap inside inlet due to EGR!! ( http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/B1a...nt=CIMG1591.jpg )

Also this is the 1.9 TD pump where you can see the two 2 pin connectors near where the diesel pipes is coming out on the side. ( http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/B1a...nt=CIMG1385.jpg )

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

welshpug

I'm sure the switch on the accelerator spindle is for the EGR system which you can leave disconnected, its a horrible system, as you can see from the inlet manifold!

the only connections you need to be sure of I think are the stop solenoid, and any immobiliser solenoid.

B1ack_Mi16
I'm sure the switch on the accelerator spindle is for the EGR system which you can leave disconnected, its a horrible system, as you can see from the inlet manifold!

the only connections you need to be sure of I think are the stop solenoid, and any immobiliser solenoid.

Ok.. so maybe just use the 2.1 pump anyway then :)

What are the two connectors on the 1.9 pump then? I guess one is the stop solenoid but I'm sure it's not a immobilizer on this, although both plugs were connected when in 405.

Yes the EGR is a messy thing. I need to get 20 litres of diesel and soak the inlet in it for a week I think.

Oberon

Hey you guys might wanna check out the white 2.1 td 205 vanette thingy on youtube.

It is racing civic type 'R's and scuby's I beleive, and not doing too bad either!

Is it one of Hilgies flock I wonder?

midnight motorsport
Ok.. so maybe just use the 2.1 pump anyway then :)

What are the two connectors on the 1.9 pump then? I guess one is the stop solenoid but I'm sure it's not a immobilizer on this, although both plugs were connected when in 405.

Yes the EGR is a messy thing. I need to get 20 litres of diesel and soak the inlet in it for a week I think.

welsh pug is correct about the switch on top, it is for the egr system, just leave it off, also the egr pipework on the manifolds blank these off too, by either removing them completely, and putting plates over the take off's, or by just putting a plate in the pipework somewhere, i normally find that the vacum valve is normally bolted onto the pipework/maifolds somewhere, and i just make an ally plate and slide it inbetween this and bolt it back up,

if your pump has a cover over where the stop solenoid is, ( with sheer bolts all over it) it normally means that it is a immobiliser type, you can get around this my removing all the metal protecting the solenoid( this is a pain and normally requires getting a bit angry with it!! lol) and then putting a standard stop solenoid in it,

if it has a stop solenoid where you can see it, with a single terminal on top, this is all you need to start it,

also some pumps have another solenoid or warm up reg on the side, this is normally for cold start advance, or can sometimes be used if the engine also uses an ecu, so that the ecu can control the advance electronicly, but i dont think yours will have this?

hope this helps, cheers, jay

B1ack_Mi16

Certainly some helpful information here!

I think I'll start looking for the stop soleniod in the 2.1 pump first :)

Although my main reason for using the 1.9 pump is that I just wanna use the complete 1.9 setup with the much nicer diesel filter setup on top of termostat housing.

The housing is connected to the pump with a wire and so on.. and I didn't wanna disconnect the wire.. cold start thingy?

Anyone know if the 1.9 pump can deliver enough diesel though if it's set up correctly?

midnight motorsport
Certainly some helpful information here!

I think I'll start looking for the stop soleniod in the 2.1 pump first :)

Although my main reason for using the 1.9 pump is that I just wanna use the complete 1.9 setup with the much nicer diesel filter setup on top of termostat housing.

The housing is connected to the pump with a wire and so on.. and I didn't wanna disconnect the wire.. cold start thingy?

Anyone know if the 1.9 pump can deliver enough diesel though if it's set up correctly?

the stop solenoids on bosch pumps are always on top of the metering head, (the squre steel block) at the back of the pump, with the injector outlets on it,

you can get the 1.9 pump to make enough fuel for a 2.1 engine, but it will always be a comprimise, as the fuel curve is set by different metering heads/spring and cam plates/etc, so it is quite hard to get it right, sure you can turn the fuel screw out, but this normally just increases the overall fuel,

if it were mine, i would take all the ancillaries,,, fuel filter housing, solenoids, brackets ect, from your 1.9 set up, and put it on your 2.1 pump, this way the fuel curve will be rite to start with, then you can mess around with fuel once you start messing with boost, this way the car will be fine (as normal) when off boost, and you can just increase the On boost fuel as needed,

def remove the egr though as well, this normally makes great resuults, as they are pretty rubbish, :-)

Edited by midnight motorsport

B1ack_Mi16

Ok, guess 2.1 is the way then and move over the other stuff I wanna keep :o

One more thing I wonder about is how is timing set?

Pump is fixed with 3 bolts to the cambelt side and 1 pivot bolt on the middle of the engine block.

How is this stuff set up properly? any special equipment needed?

dirtdog

The white multivan racing evos/scoobys/civic tye Rs is owned by a guy " Rudy" ?

Dtoru (?) should be able to help this thread as last time I heard, he was creating quite a beast for himself

Weejimmy. Any further news on how this is going? I'd really like to see how they fit a 205 bay

-Gary

EDIT-

Black mi16. I'm not 100% sure but i'm pretty positive that I heard, twisting/turning the fuel pump advances/retards the timing

Edited by dirtdog

B1ack_Mi16
EDIT-

Black mi16. I'm not 100% sure but i'm pretty positive that I heard, twisting/turning the fuel pump advances/retards the timing

Yes I kinda figured that out :o

But how do you know if it's right?

Sign in to follow this