• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PUGPIRATE

Mystery Air Hose In 1.9 Cti

PUGPIRATE

Hello all,

I'm in need of some friendly advice.

I just bought my third 205. Its a 205 cti with an XU9JA engine that superficially looked like it was in great nick. Seems to run o.k, but the radiator fans aren't coming on so I thought I'd give the engine bay a good examination.

My conclusions as a result of this examination is that someone has had the intake/inlet manifold off in order to replace the starter motor (presumably owing to the 'dodgy solenoid' syndrome that has affected every 205 gti that I've had!). This seems likely owing to the sprightlyness of the motor itself and little traces of gasket here and there.

The reason that this is an issue is that some of the pipes had not been refitted properly. Fortunately, I was able to identify and repair one oversight, but there is an additional pipe that is covered in a braided material running from the side of the inlet manifold and (presumably) through the brake master cylinder. This pipe is split by a three way joint just prior to it disappearing into the brake master cylinder leaving a thin section of piping unattached and just hanging there leaking air. There are no obvious places where this unattached pipe could conceivably have unattached itself from - the pipe could even have been fitted the wrong way for all I know!

Does anybody have any idea what the connections are for this pipe? The pipe itself is one that I've seen in every standard 205 gti that I've driven - it stands out owing to the covering of braided material that coats it. If someone could look in their engine bay and let me know their findings I would be very appreciative!!

jackherer

That pipe is for the vacuum sunroof seal, it should have been blocked off when fitting a GTI engine into a CTI, or ideally the CTI pipe should have been used. Just join the two sections of braid covered hose with a straight through pipe.

Henry Yorke

Does this impact the brakes with it being open if there is no one way valve in it? If you can feel it sucking when the engine runs then get it blocked ASAP!

M@tt

the one way valve is in the right angled plastic connector that joins the pipe to the servo so it is in place but i would imagine the servo assitance isn't particularly good as the vacuum from the manifold is sucking the atmosphere as opposed to air out of the servo

Edited by M@tt

PUGPIRATE

Fantastic response. Thanks for giving me the benefit of your collective expertise! :-)

Sign in to follow this