• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MrG

Rear Shocks

MrG

In all my old sockets & tools I can't find one that fits snuggly over the nuts that hold the upper bolt of the rear shocks on?

I want to remove them and no matter how hard I try I've either got one thats too small or slightly too big?

welshpug

18mm both sides :)

MrG

thanks very muchly, I must have got to the end of my patience prior to those as I do have a set of metrics!!

It was either that or the cold and top gear took hold!

jackherer
I do have a set of metrics!!

For some reason most sets have a 17mm and a 19mm but not an 18mm.

MrG

funnily enough I looked last and you're bang on!

so I'm off to rectify that tonight.

Baz

The bolts are also in a little recess and can be a right PITA! But usually do-able with a little perseverance!

MrG

thats what I found, didn't help not having the right size socket though!

Paintguy

I found out the hard way a few weeks ago.

I needed to change the rear dampers, so had a quick look under the car and guessed at 19mm. I went home armed with a wide variety of spanners and sockets in that size, only to find out they were to big :D

I had a go anyway, but after skinning my knuckles numerous times when the tools slipped, I decided to call it a day and had to wait until I could get back to work and get some 18mm stuff. It was a breeze of a job with the right sizes :)

Sign in to follow this