• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hodge

Rear Axle

Guest Hodge

Hi guys. I need to replace the rear axle in my 1.6 GTI, can I replace it with any 205 axle for example a one from a 1100cc model. I was told earlier I could replace it with one from a CJ model or a deisel but would need to change the tosion bars over and the ARB. What is the ARB and is it had to swap these parts over? Also are the ride heights different on a stadard model to a GTI.

Thankfull for any help

j_turnell

If you do a search mate you'll find loads of information on rear axle's!! I would get a Gti beam as it will have the correct sized torsion bars and ARB, base models are much smaller diameter which would compromise your handling! Search for upgrades as well like the 309 beam.

Anthony

You can use a base model beam fine - there's slight differences, but nothing of note or that'll stop you using it.

You will need to swap over the torsion bars (GTi ones are stiffer), the anti-roll bar (GTi one is stiffer), rear drums (GTi ones are wider) and the rear dampers (GTi ones have uprated damping) to convert the base model beam into a GTi spec one. As James says above, using a base model beam without fitting the GTi parts will handle poorly.

Ride height is set by the torsion bars, which you'll be changing anyway so the height that standard 205's sit at isn't an issue.

There's a rear beam reconditioning guide on the main site, and that'll tell you about how to remove/refit the various parts and check that the beam you're going to fit is serviceable - I'd strongly recommend reconditioning it whilst you're there, otherwise sooner or later your new beam will die just like the current one. It's reasonably involved, but if you're mechanically competent and follow the guide you shouldn't have too many problems.

jerseypug

just taken my xs beam apart and the torsion and arb are the same thickness as the 1.9 gti.

Guest Hodge
You can use a base model beam fine - there's slight differences, but nothing of note or that'll stop you using it.

You will need to swap over the torsion bars (GTi ones are stiffer), the anti-roll bar (GTi one is stiffer), rear drums (GTi ones are wider) and the rear dampers (GTi ones have uprated damping) to convert the base model beam into a GTi spec one. As James says above, using a base model beam without fitting the GTi parts will handle poorly.

Ride height is set by the torsion bars, which you'll be changing anyway so the height that standard 205's sit at isn't an issue.

There's a rear beam reconditioning guide on the main site, and that'll tell you about how to remove/refit the various parts and check that the beam you're going to fit is serviceable - I'd strongly recommend reconditioning it whilst you're there, otherwise sooner or later your new beam will die just like the current one. It's reasonably involved, but if you're mechanically competent and follow the guide you shouldn't have too many problems.

Thanks for that I will have a look at that!

Guest Hodge
just taken my xs beam apart and the torsion and arb are the same thickness as the 1.9 gti.

Hi mate Im still abit unsure what the ARB is?

Anthony

Then the beam has obviously been swapped or upgraded in the past then as they're not like that from the factory.

205 XS torsion bars are 18.5mm and the anti-roll bar is 16mm. 205 1.6 and 1.9 GTi torsion and anti-roll bars are both 19mm.

Anthony
Hi mate Im still abit unsure what the ARB is?

ARB = anti-roll bar. Runs through the middle of the beamtube, connected to both trailing arms by the egg-shaped end plates.

Sign in to follow this