• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rich_p

Tarmac Rally Tyres

Rich_p

I need some tyres for the track car.

Normal choice I guess would be Toyo 888's.

I often see tarmac rally tyres for sale, effectively slicks with small cuts in.

Has anyone had experience of these and how would they compare to the toyos?

The car is running standard geometry so no camber changes as yet.

Edited by Rich_p

mmt

The Toyo´s are street legal and a lot less stiff and sticks a lot less to the tarmac than any "real" slick or cut slick.

For street use and a trackdey here and there the Toyo is allright. If you want fast tracktimes and more grip you should use real slicks.

/Martin

welshpug

A friend of Mine uses AO48's in Soft and Medium compound (soft rarely come out) he can often get hold of part worns for lot a lot, and often they still have much of their life still in them, some not even been on a car!

swordfish210

The A048's are far superior to the R888's in terms of grip. Kumho do a few good tarmac tyres, have you looked at their range?

welshpug

I've heard mixed reports of the Kumho tyres, but that was from the British Stockhatch Rallycross boys who use them on mixed surfaces so tend to struggle to get heat into them, favourable on price I believe.

projectpug

Having used both A048 and R888(cant comment on rally slicks/inters as i havn't used them) i find that their isnt that much to choose between them comparing optimal grip to optimal grip. Its all about getting the correct tyre pressures.

Rob Thomson

Proper rally slicks are hugely stickier than R888/A048/A032/etc. My old 106 Rallye stage car came with some proper Dunlop moulded slicks (X12s?) and once warm they were astonishing. I actually found them too good, they buggered up the feel of the car; too much grip and not enough power. For that reason I always used the Yokos or Toyos (much a muchness) because they were more fun, but the slicks were a LOT faster.

And rally slicks are road legal (obviously) unless you do something daft like using them in torrential rain where you could argue that they're not fit for purpose.

maxirallye

The difference between proper moulded slicks and the road tyres is night and day, however to go the slick route properly you need at least 12 wheels to give yourself a proper choice of compounds/ trad patterns depending on the conditions.

philfingers

Rob they were probably Dunlop 311's. They do those in an X12 and they're very good and around £135 each! I had about 20 with my 205!

Baz
The Toyo´s are street legal and a lot less stiff and sticks a lot less to the tarmac than any "real" slick or cut slick.

For street use and a trackdey here and there the Toyo is allright. If you want fast tracktimes and more grip you should use real slicks.

/Martin

FYI: Real slicks need the suspension to cope with the added grip levels too...

Spiky

with full slicks will the std gated sump on a gti6 enough though though?

bjw970s

I have used List 1B tyres for rallying and racing (no choice in the racing) for a while now.

I had previously always used 032's on the mini and 048's on the Metro with good results - medium compound on a varying rallies.

This year on my new race car (Stewart Taylor Motorsport LOCOBLADE) I have been using KHUMO V70's which I really like - very grippy, work from cold and despite being soft compound have lasted a season - bought them because they were a good buy but they have been superb. Now have a second set cut as wets as I saw them being used in Belgium on the Tour of Flanders and they worked well for the guy there.

My mate switched to KHUMO's from TOYO's on his V8 Westfield and was making a second or 2 a lap on them - they are virtually road legal slicks.

Now that I have got a proper Rally car, may need to get some moulded slicks! :rolleyes: but from a cost perspective I am happy with the 048's or the KHUMO's for price and performance and i tend to do a lot of mixed racing and have noticed they are generally used if there is no control tyre.

Just some thoughts.....

Sign in to follow this